Music, Weather, Spacers, and Media Tiles

Today’s SharpTools.io update includes new Music, Weather, and Spacer tiles as well as an update to the Media Tile! I’m trying something new this time with the inclusion of a YouTube video describing some of the new features - let me know if this is helpful or if you prefer the standard text-and-image update posts!

New Features:

Music Playback

The new Music Playback tiles let you control the playback of audio devices in your home (and some video devices!). In the screenshot below, we are controlling our Office Sonos device - clicking play lets us quickly start playing some tunes and the currently playing track is displayed.

The Details link in the bottom left brings up some additional playback controls, additional player data, and volume controls.

Weather

The new Weather tiles are available for SmartWeather compatible devices. If you don’t already have a SmartWeather device in your SmartThings installation, you can add it from the SmartThings IDE or try out the community Weather Station 2.0 device.

:information_source: Check out the Weather Help Article for details on a solution using a community developed weather tile:

Where can I find weather tiles? - SharpTools Knowledge Base

WARNING: The WeatherStation 2.0 will likely stop working in February 2019. It is recommended to use the SmartThings provided WeatherStation Tile instead.

The weather tiles display easy to read forecast icons, temperature, and other weather related data like sunrise, sunset, humidity, percent precipitation, and wind speed.

Spacer

Have you ever wanted to position your tiles in a really specific layout? The new Spacer tiles provide more flexibility for positioning your real tiles by allowing you to fill in gaps with blank spacer tiles. The spacer tiles are visible during editing, but disappear leaving an empty gap where you’ve laid them out.

Note that the tile layout engine still defaults to a left-to-right, top-to-bottom layout, so sometimes it’s helpful to either adjust your browser to the target device’s width or edit from a computer while watching the target device. Each time you press the orange save icon in the editor, the changes are pushed out to your devices.

Media Tile Updates

Media Tiles now have two new options for better laying out your media - Media Scaling and Media Position. The scaling option lets you choose between ‘Fill’, ‘Contain’, and ‘Cover’ which will either ‘stretch’, ‘fit’, or ‘trim’ the media item into the tile respectively. The Media Position option is especially helpful with ‘cover’ scaling option as it lets you vertically align the image to choose which part of the image is trimmed off.

The YouTube video at the top of this post shows how each of these options work. Alternatively, the following post has some screenshots showing each option:

5 Likes

Good updates! Like the Spacer Tile and fixed the ability of media tile to show entire image! Thanks for all you do!

1 Like

Big update!!
Nice job Josh. All features used and working.

1 Like

Looks great, Josh!

20 char.

1 Like

@josh 2 things.

1. I can’t remove these ‘placeholders’ I edit and click on the ‘X’ but nothing?

2. I installed a couple switches today that control lights. Why can’t I make the icon do what other bulbs do? Light up.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up on not being able to remove the placeholders. I’ll take a look and see what’s going on. In the meantime, you might try removing the tile from another device.

What type of Thing is the new Thing which doesn’t light up? If I remember correctly it’s only Things which implement the switch capability that glow - if you can share the device type, I’ll look into it. I noticed that it shows ‘Held’ in the secondary attribute line which makes me wonder if it’s being recognized as a button.

Edit: Placeholders are Things which are no longer authorized. The other workaround would be to reauthorize the Things so you can remove them from the dashboard and then deauthorize them.

The light is a inovelli wall switch. I’m using it as a light. I like the lights.

I’ll try removing the placeholders with your suggestion.

1 Like

I was easily able to remove placeholder from tablet. Just wasn’t able to on the phone. FYI.

1 Like

I just pushed a hotfix which should resolve the issue with being able to tap the ‘X’ to remove placeholder tiles on iOS devices. Thanks again for reporting it.

PS. I looked into the device in question that you would like to glow when it is active… it reports itself as a button and a switch. I have a few ideas on how to achieve your desired functionality and I’ve added it to the hit list.

Edit: Switches are now prioritized over Buttons for device display. (reference)

1 Like

Works awesome. Thanks @josh

1 Like

Hi everyone,
in the weather tile, it displays the wind speed of mph despite the fact that the real speed is in kph. What can I do with this?

Robert-
Thanks for the message. Which home automation platform do you have connected to SharpTools which is displaying the weather?

The weather tile will automatically try to pull in the unit of measure for the wind attribute and will fall back to MPH if the units are not available. We’ve noted that the units don’t appear to be coming across with Hubitat events and are looking into it. :slight_smile:

josh,
to SharpTools I have connected smartthings via Smartweather Station Tile 2.0, my location is in Europe and I use km/h (kph). In the mobile application smartthings displays the units correctly…

and something else
I use picoreplayer (LMS). In Media Manager I’ve inserted a link to the dynamic album cover:
http: //picoreplayer/music/current/cover.jpg
The LMS server is local but does not display nothing.

Thanks for the details. I’ll look into it and see if I can reproduce it. :slight_smile:

Does the picoreplayer require some sort of authentication or login to access the specified URL?

If you open up a new browser tab in Incognito mode and then try to access the same URL, what happens? Does the page stream a raw JPEG file (as the URL seems to indicate) or is it some sort of HTML wrapper?

In the private mode in the web browser does not actually display the album cover. There is no problem in the normal mode “http://picoreplayer/music/current/cover” without JPG . There is also no problem in “The Home Remote” and “The Home Remote Designer” windows apps.

Edit:

I apologize for the correct link to http://picoreplayer:9000/music/current/cover.jpg course with 9000 port. In private mode the web browser is displayed.

So in Incognito/Private Mode, if you access the URL http://picoreplayer:9000/music/current/cover.jpg you are seeing the raw image as expected without having to login at all? Can you post a screenshot of what your Media Tile configuration looks like?

Yes, without having to login

https://imgur.com/a/woLWAkW

Thanks for sharing the album with the various screenshots. :slight_smile: That is odd that the photo isn’t showing.

If you open the browser’s developer tools with F12 and inspect the missing image in the Create Media screen, what does the URL show?

This is what you asked for:

https://imgur.com/a/kqicPdB

thank you in advance :grinning:

Thanks. From what I can tell, everything looks fine with how things are getting setup in SharpTools…

Have you tried in another browser like Google Chrome?

1 Like