Calendar and News Feed Tiles

A default ‘month’ calendar which shows the days of the month and the current day highlighted is available under the ‘Calendars’ section of the Add Item picker:

You can add your own Calendars from the Manage Resources tab of your user profile or select from a few popular calendars by tapping the Help button when creating a new calendar.

These Calendars use the Agenda view and display the next 7 days of activities.

3 Likes

Thanks. @josh. it helps.

Hello Josh:
I seem to be having trouble creating my calendar feed, as per the attached screenshot:

I’ve created the link according to the documentation…

Hey Jack! Thanks for posting - we currently have a beta running for a new calendar backend, so I’d love to have you help us test it. I’ll send you a PM.

The most common reason for an error while parsing a valid calendar URL is the calendar server taking too long to respond - often caused by having a large calendar. (You can try opening your calendar URL directly in your browser and if it takes 10+ seconds that’s the likely culprit)

Josh: I hope I am not repeating a feature request… The Calendar, Agenda and Weather tiles are great! I would love to be able to click the Month Calendar and link to a Hyperlink (e.g. Google Calendar app). I would love to click on the Weather tile and link to a Hyperlink for a weather app (e.g. Weather bug app).

Currently, I have an additional Hyperlink tile to open Google Calendar and another to open Weather Bug. I could eliminate both tiles with this added functionality.

Interesting idea! I’ve noted the request. :smiley:

While this isn’t currently possible with the traditional Weather Tile, you can do it with any Media Tile since the Media Tiles have support for opening a hyperlink as an action. And since Meda Tiles are commonly used for displaying weather forecasts, this just might work in your situation. :slight_smile:

Here’s a neat example where upon clicking on a forecast (Media Tile) it opens Windy.com with a neat weather animation within a modal. The same concept could be used to open an app in a new window too!

https://imgur.com/a/vElF2jU

Thanks for the quick reply Josh. I actually have the Media Tile Weather option working using the same Weather Widget linked to my Weather Bug Elite app. I would prefer the link attached to your cool looking Smart Weather Station Tile. Maybe add it to the list?:slight_smile:?:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would second that request. I like the clean look and feel of the weather tile as it flows with the rest of my tiles. I like the windy integration a lot if we could somehow hyperlink from the weather tile

2 Likes

I put my vote on that as well. Having the weather tile go to a more expanded weather link would be a great addition.

1 Like

Did you ever get an answer to this. The calendar appears to link but displays part of the txt from the URL I supplied. The link then opens properly also but the display does not work.

1 Like

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Am I understanding correctly that you are using a webcal:// URL (for example, from Apple iCloud) and it’s showing your calendar, but also adding an entry like shown in your screenshot?

@James would you mind testing your iCloud calendar to see if you can reproduce?

Hi @josh…Yes it is a webcal link but not from iCloud. It is a public link created by a reservation management system we use for our small hotel called CheckFront. I have the same calendar displayed in one my Google accounts. and it works fine.

Thanks for the fast response.

Thanks. I’ll send you a private message to gather more details. :smiley:

1 Like

Oosh sorry I can’t remember / don’t use it anymore. Best of luck.

no worries. I am working with Josh to see if we can fix it.

1 Like

I understand one can link a public iCloud calendar to a SharpTools tile, but has anyone been able to link a private iCloud calendar? I found a way to get the url for a private iCloud calendar here, but SharpTools doesn’t like the resulting url. Its of the form https://pXX-caldav.icloud.com/DSID/calendars/calName. The referenced article tells you how to find the PXX and DSID for a given calendar. I’d rather not make my calendar public because, as I understand it, anyone that knows where to look could see it.

Thanks for sharing, @kbhousen

I went through the steps in the article above and from what I can tell, it’s generating a simple URL that could be used for connecting the calendar to an external calendar client (like Thunderbird / Microsoft Outlook) but it would still require that you enter your iCloud username and password into that client and it would give that client WRITE access to the calendar. This won’t work with SharpTools.

I think the term ‘Public’ is a bit of a misnomer in the iCloud sharing. It’s generating a unique secret URL with a key in it that is more complex than most user passwords are. It’s read-only, so it might be reasonable to use for public sharing if that’s the desired goal, but it’s also secret by default. It only becomes public when you share it with someone.

That being said, unlike Google Calendar, there doesn’t seem to be anyway to reset the iCloud ‘Public Calendar’ URL which is a pretty disappointing security choice on Apple’s part. If you accidentally share a screenshot with your full ‘Public Calendar’ iCloud URL, there doesn’t appear to be any way to reset the URL. So you’d have to create a completely new calendar.

Makes sense. Thanks Josh!

hello there, i am having the same issues with the calendar tile and followed directions from the " How to use Google Calendar in Calendar Tiles". When tile added to the dasboard, it says “nothing in agenda” please help

The calendar filters down to the next 7 days worth of events. Do you have anything on that particular calendar scheduled within the next 7 days?