It’s time for another exciting SharpTools.io platform release! This release includes brand new Calendar tiles and News Feed tiles.
Calendar tiles let you view your upcoming agenda from any iCal compatible calendar services (Google, Apple, Office 365) or from public calendar feeds like major holidays or events.
News Feed tiles enable you to keep up with things that are happening on your favorite blogs, news sites, or discussion forums by displaying content from their RSS feeds.
The new Calendar feature enables you to view agenda items from your iCal compatible calendar in your SharpTools.io dashboards. Most modern calendar services like Google Calendar, Apple iCloud, and Office 365 provide iCal compatible URLs and we’ve updated our help articles with tips on how to connect each of these.
Additional calendar sources include websites like Facebook which provide upcoming events and friend birthdays as an iCal compliant source. And there are several public resources which share iCal files of public events, holidays, and more.
Premium users have access to add multiple calendars which will refresh at a faster interval compared to the Free tier (eg. 30 minutes vs 6 hours) and can combine multiple calendars together into a single tile by editing an existing calendar tile:
The calendar tile comes with a variety of settings so you can customize the agenda to look the way you want it to:
Orientation: Vertical or Horizontal
- Changes the display of the tile between a vertical list of dates or horizontal list of dates
Show End Time
- Shows the start time for the agenda event
Show Start Time
- Shows the end time for the agenda event (if available)
Time Position: Below Summary or Left of Summary
- Changes the display of the time to either be in a column to the left of the summary or a line below the summary
Enable Agenda Hyperlinks
- Turns the agenda item into a clickable link if the agenda item includes a URL
There’s also a convenient basic ‘Month’ calendar which shows the current month with the current date highlighted (optional):
The News Feeds feature enables you to keep up with your favorite blogs, news sites, or other sites that provide a valid RSS feed.
Premium users have access to adding multiple RSS feeds which will refresh at a faster interval compared to the Free tier (eg. 30 minutes vs 2 hours).
The News Feed tile comes with a variety of settings so you can customize the feed to look the way you want it to:
Truncate Article Titles
- Prevents long article titles from wrapping to the next line
Show Article Summary
- Show the article summary as provided by the feed
Show Article Date
- Show the article date as provided by the feed
Hyperlink to Article
- Enable the ability to tap the article to view the original article
- Customize how the Article Hyperlink is handled. Note that some feeds will block being embedded in other websites, so if the ‘Open in Modal’ option doesn’t work, try the Open in New Window option.
Along with the addition of the new Calendar and News Feed resources, we’ve consolidated the management of resources into a single Manage Resources screen which can be found in the second tab of your User Page.
If you had grown accustom to managing your Media and Hyperlinks from the user menu in the top-right corner of the page, the Manage Resources link is now where you can find these features.
- More control over hyperlinks
- Hyperlinks in Media Tiles and RSS Feeds now support changing the hyperlink action (modal, same window, new window)
- Hyperlink Modal Enhancements
- Modal now shows a loading indicator and warning if the linked page times out or doesn’t support being embedded
- Improved dynamic subscriptions
- Especially for a group of Hubitat users who were having issues with some subscriptions not getting setup