Sonos. Where to start?

I will admit to the following:
1.) I am two weeks into home automation outside of Alexa and Wink. So I am a newbie to all things outside of those two.
2.) I am very good at Google and looking through Community bulletin boards, so I have spent a bunch of time surfing trying to figure it out myself, with no luck

My setup
Sonos - eight speakers in total
Echo - Show and a bunch of dots
Hubitat
Sharptools running on Amazon Fire 8 in the Fully Kiosk Browser… and a PC…and a Mac :slight_smile:
SirusXM Internet subscription
Spotify subscription

Where do I start with setting up a Media Tile so that I can hit a button on the Fire and plan, let’s say Road Trip Radio on the Kitchen Sonos Speaker?

Is it a get it on Hubitat first then it works on Sharptools? or is it separate?

What I have completed:
Within Hubitat, I have Sonos Integration and it sees my speaker
I can tell Alexa to play something on it all day long and it works great. “Alexa, play Road Trip Radio on SirusXM, in the Kitchen”, works great.

How do I make the tile? What is media player URL? I found a Github link: Add Spotify link info · jishi/node-sonos-http-api@dae63a3 · GitHub
but hell, what does that all mean?

Any starting points would be great.

Thanks

Chuck

Welcome to the community, Charles!

Yes, Hubitat has native support for Sonos devices.

If I remember correctly, you have to:

1. Navigate to the Apps section of your Hubitat admin UI
  2. Tap the Add Built-in App button at the top of the screen
  3. Select the Sonos Integration
  4. Follow the prompts in the Sonos Integration app
    • It should discover your Sonos devices, then take you to a screen where you can select which Sonos devices you want to include in Hubitat

After you’ve added the Sonos devices into Hubitat, you’ll then want to authorize SharpTools.io to have access to those devices:

1. Navigate to your SharpTools.io User Page
  2. Tap Manage Connections
  3. Select Hubitat
  4. Follow the authorization prompts making sure to check the boxes next to your Sonos devices to authorize them

Once you’ve authorized your Sonos devices in SharpTools, you can add them as a Thing like any other device. The default tile layout is a set of Music Player controls. You can use the ‘Change Layout’ option in the tile’s menu to change it to an Album Art Tile though. :smiley:

Once you have the Sonos device authorized in SharpTools, you can also use it in rules to do things like playing your desired music / stations. @James has an article on this here:

1 Like

Thanks Josh. Sorry for the delayed response. I had gone through all of the steps, minus the rules. However, equipment compatibility issues took me a while to sort through. I have all the Sonos now appearing correctly in Hubitat and Sharptools, now just trying to figure out the rules :wink:

Thanks again

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Newbie for Sonos Grouping