Ring Doorbell on dashboard

Looking for a way to add the Ring Doorbell to the dashboard to make it similar to the iOS classic SmartThings app where it shows the status and if you touch the play button you get the live view.

1 Like

We recently reached out to Ring through their partners program and are awaiting feedback. They don’t have an official public API like some companies, so we’ll need to get access to the partner program in order to access the APIs.

That being said, there might be some workarounds that could work for you. If the device is integrated with SmartThings and has the status data you are referring to, we could make a Ring tile that displays the status… then upon clicking it, we could open up the Ring app if it’s installed.

Note that you can use a Hyperlink tile today to open an app:

Chrome / Safari App link format

ring://

Fully Kiosk Intent URLs

Ring App

intent:#Intent;launchFlags=0x10000000;component=com.ringapp/com.ring.launch.LaunchActivity;end

Rapid Ring App

intent:#Intent;launchFlags=0x10000000;component=com.ring.answer/com.ring.answer.presentation.splash.SplashActivity;end
Tap to see Legacy URL Intent format for older versions of the Ring app

For Android, the intent is:

intent:#Intent;launchFlags=0x10000000;component=com.ringapp/.ui.activities.LoginActivity;end

I’m not sure what the URL scheme for Ring is on iOS - if you find it, please let me know and I’ll update the KB article!

ok cool ill look around and see what i can find.

by chance do you have the alexa app url for ios?

looks like alexa:// works

1 Like

Thanks - I added the Alexa example to the list in the KB article!

Some of the URL schemes even support parameters letting you open specific features of the app or take specific actions. For example, you can initiate a Facetime call with:

facetime://put-phone-or-email-here

It would be cool if we could find a Ring URL that let you open playback for a specific camera directly.

1 Like

agree, or just access live view.

1 Like

@josh
Is there anyway to capture the pic being taken in Smartthings recents to publish to SharpTools? This is a Skybell BTW… NOT Ring… if it matters

Can you share a link to the device type handler?

lol… uh…(im sure that should make sense but it dont) i assume that would be in IDE to find that? Skybell is under devices… sorry but please expand.

I thought you might have been using a custom Device Type Handler (DTH) from a SmartThings community member to integrate the Skybell… is it an official integration from SmartThings or did you have to install code via the IDE?

its official integration…

I assume this will work in sharptools, correct?

Yes. It’s just the Android automation app called AutomateIt determining which app to open. :grinning:

1 Like

Looks like ring is ring://, but it opens the app to the neighbors section. Wyze is wyze://

2 Likes

Hello, this link doesn’t work for Ring any more. Is the any update?
Thank you,
TD

Thanks for posting! Are you referring to the link that starts with “intent:”? If so, that format will only work within Fully Kiosk Browser with the regular Ring app. What kind of device and browser are you using to view your dashboards?

Edit: I just tried it myself and I see what you’re saying. It looks like they changed the name of the component / activity. Here’s the updated links.

Ring App

intent:#Intent;launchFlags=0x10000000;component=com.ringapp/com.ring.launch.LaunchActivity;end

Rapid Ring App

intent:#Intent;launchFlags=0x10000000;component=com.ring.answer/com.ring.answer.presentation.splash.SplashActivity;end

For reference, you can find the proper Intent URL format for any app using the steps in the following post:

:link: How to find the Intent URL for an Android app using Fully Kiosk Browser

2 Likes

Great. Thank you. The new link works.
I am using Fully Kiosk with Ring App.
TD

2 Likes

Tested with the Rapid Ring app, and the intent link works great too. Thanks @josh.

1 Like

Hmm…I just installed the Rapid Ring App apk and uninstalled the larger Ring app on my Fire 8 tablet with Fully.

I turned on the “chime” alerts (by clicking on settings in the rapid app), and left motion off.

But I am not getting any alerts on the tablet when I ring the doorbell, and if I go to the main page of the Rapid Ring app, it says “Alerts Disabled”, even though in settings it says I have the chime alert enabled.

Even if I enable both chime and motion alerts (then it says “Enabled” vs “Alerts Disabled” … though I don’t want motion alerts on the screen but figured I’d try), I still don’t get a notification when the doorbell rings. Tried rebooting the tablet as well.

Anyone have an idea?

Edit: Want to try having Automateit launch the Rapid Ring App when a notification comes through that someone is ringing the doorbell.