Request: Change Tile Color Based on Reported Temperature

Hi @Tomas_Smedberg Iā€™ve merged your topic in with a similar request. As James noted, it would be helpful if you could provide more details on your use case.

It seems like the primary use cases weā€™ve seen so far are around changing tile color based on Temperature and Humidity values, though there has some been interest in other attributes (eg. Lux) for use in Hero Attribute tiles.

I was thinking of doing a visual tile for our indoor CO2 levels. Something like green, orange, red .
Could also be for visualizing when temps get to hot/cold or something like that as you mention

2 Likes

Hi Tom I know the topic here is other, but may I ask you what kind of CO2 sensor do you have?

This would be a great feature. I just got on to try to do this. I monitor my sons room temp and would love a way to quickly see if it is too hot or cold and color is the best way in my opinion.

1 Like

didnā€™t see this thread before, I commented about this on a different thread, but Iā€™ll add it here too for head count on this thread. I would also like to have custom thresholds and tile colors. For example, if my FREEZER temp reports > 0F, then Iā€™d like the tile to turn to a custom chosen color. There should be capability to select multiple thresholds or ranges to make different colors show.

1 Like

HI Josh, do you have any news about this feature?

I think colors based on temperature and humidity would be useful as well!

Most definitely! Along with water leak detection!

You might be happy to know that Water Leak detection is already supported with the active/default color states. :smiley:

On a related note, the latest platform update included support for active color states for a wide variety of capabilities - which is especially helpful for Hero Attribute tiles.

Not at the moment. It hasnā€™t been prioritized into a sprint quite yet. Weā€™re working hard on some major backend changes (which should make it easier to push out new integrations and backend features)!

1 Like

It would be a very useful feature for the tile to change color based on value. This could usefully apply to temperature and humidity and possibly luminance and power and maybe even to the Weather Tile for precipitation. Given the wide range it would be important to allow maximum flexibility on color range. For example temperature may only vary by a few degrees but still need a color change.

2 Likes

I will also add, for those of us who have air quality sensors such as PurpleAir, having the ability to change the color of a single tile based on value would be ideal!

Currently I utilize multiple separate switch tiles using the Hero layout. I turn ON the one representing the range/category of the current air quality level while turning the rest OFF. I would love to simplify my dashboard to reduce all those extra tiles!

1 Like

In this particular setup, do you mean that you would want a single tile showing the Air Quality and you would want to have 6 different color ranges / thresholds on that one tile (based on the screenshot displayed?)

Yes, that is correct. I envision a single tile that can be configured to show different colors based on thresholds (in this case AQI level)ā€¦

Edit: in the case of air quality there are 6 specific color categories. When I think of things like temperature or humidity, I would envision tiles that would feature perhaps even more colors (maybe a different color for every 10 degrees for temp or 10% for humidity)ā€¦

1 Like

I was looking for an air quality device. How do you like Purpleair?

I highly recommend PurpleAir. Iā€™ve only had mine for about a month or so but its been very useful to me. I live in an area where air pollution is a regular problem, so I like seeing how conditions fluctuate locally. And I can see my station readings compared to other nearby stations on the PurpleAir web map.

It only measures particulate matter pollution (not ground level ozone) but for less than $250 you can have your own local air quality station, and it seems to be very accurate.

2 Likes

The ability to change the color of the tile based on the reported temperature value is now available. You can find more details in the release thread here:

Icons and Colors based on States + Window Shades

Weā€™ve noted the requests around setting tile color based on other attributes (eg. Humidity, Lux, CO2, Power, etc) and are working on extending the new ā€˜State Mappingā€™ feature thatā€™s used in the Temperature tile to work in the Hero Attribute tile. :smiley:

4 Likes

FWIW, Iā€™d love to be able to change Icon, not just color. For example, a Mode tile could have a number of different icons if you have non-standard modes.

1 Like

Adding my support for a request for the ability to set tile color by some measured value - humidity in my case, but I could imagine many more as others have noted.

1 Like

Love this addition and looking forward to being able to use it on a Hero Attribute tile. One use case Iā€™d like to see is the ability to change color and icon based on an attribute being returned as status of my Ring Alarm system, ex status=off, status=home, status=away.
Thanks!

1 Like

The ability to Change Tile Color Based on Reported Temperature has been released:

:link: Icons and Colors based on States + Window Shades

If youā€™re interested in the broader request to be create color mappings based on any attribute, be sure to cast your vote in the following feature request:

:link: Style/Icon State Mapping for Custom Attributes