Motion Off Delay

Happy Easter, I am having trouble building a simple off delay timer also known as a de-bounce timer. Rather than use a motion sensors timer I want to create a timer that begins timing only while there is no motion. I want to turn a light off X seconds after the motion sensor reports inactive.

If motion is active during the time delay the delay time must start over from zero.

Happy Easter to you as well!

I believe @James has this on his hit list to build a native rule feature that would handle this as I don’t believe there’s a way to do exactly what you are looking for currently.

What we have been thinking about is a condition like ‘Motion has been inactive for X minutes’.

For this to work in your scenario, you would have a rule trigger of motion active which sends a light on command… then an X minute delay and at the end of that a ‘motion has been inactive for X minutes’ condition which would turn off the lights.

(Alternatively, two separate rules where the second is a motion has been inactive for X minutes trigger could work.)

@Brad_Stegmann, we have rolled out “state stays…” as trigger and condition in Rule Engine in beta last week. Are you interested in joining the beta group and trying out the new features. :slight_smile:

Hello @James. My name is Julio Velasco, and I work directly for @Brad_Stegmann . Please add me to the beta group to test out this feature. I appreciate your help.

Thank you,
Julio Velasco

Hi Julio,
I’ve added your account to the beta tester group, and you can find more details in this beta test post.
And don’t forget to read Beta Tester Q&A first to get some ideas about our beta tester program. Thank you.

Thank you @James ! I will make sure I read the beta test post and the Q&As.