Mobile Web App - Add to Homescreen

Did you know that you can add the SharpTools.io web app to your iOS or Android homescreen? When added to your homescreen, SharpTools takes advantage of a number of features to make it feel more like a native application including displaying an icon on your homescreen and opening fullscreen like a native app.

iOS Instructions

These instructions apply to iOS devices like the iPhone and iPad:

1. Navigate to https://sharptools.io in Safari Mobile
  2. Optionally, navigate to your desired dashboard
    Note: While viewing the list of available dashboards, you can tap the ... next to your desired dashboard and select View (Kiosk) to have dashboard open full screen.

:warning: If you are on iOS 16, refresh the page before proceeding to the next step as there is a bug with Safari 16 that will cause the initial page you loaded to get pinned rather than the page you ‘share’ from

3. Tap the Share icon
  4. Select ‘Add to Home Screen’
  5. Adjust the name (optional) and tap ‘Add’ to add the icon to your homescreen

Note: Be sure to use a SharpTools email or phone account when logging in from ‘Add to home screen’ on iOS devices. You can link an email or phone account to your existing Google login from the user account page.

Android Instructions

These instructions apply to Android phones and tablets which have Google Chrome installed on them:

1. Navigate to https://sharptools.io in Chrome
  2. Optionally, navigate to your desired dashboard
    Note: While viewing the list of available dashboards, you can tap the ... : next to your desired dashboard and select View (Kiosk) to have dashboard open full screen.
  3. Tap the ... menu
  4. Select ‘Add to Home screen’
  5. Adjust the name (optional) and tap ‘Add’ to add the icon to your homescreen
3 Likes

This was the 1st thing I did on iOS. So much better then opening up browser every time.

When I do this on iOS I am prompted to log in every time I launch sharptools.
It would also be cool if the app opened in full browser mode so there was no address bar.

Be sure to link an Email or Phone account from your user profile page and use that to sign in when you are using the Add to Homescreen version on iOS.

1 Like

I have my email linked… never need to login again

I did this on iOS and its working great. I made sure I first went to https://sharptools.io in Safari, logged in via email (not google account), and then navigated to my dashboard.

2 Likes

Hello. Please forgive the beginner’s question.
Does this method still work?
I am trying to do this on an android 9 phone, and I get the message
“Sharptools.io was added to your home screen”
But nothing is there?
(I have tried using various launchers, no luck"

Yes, the method still works. :grinning:

What type of make/model phone do you have and what launcher are you using? Some Android phones will put the shortcut on one of the many pages of your launcher, so I would try swiping through the pages on your launcher too.

Edit: Also note that you may be presented with the option to either Automatically add the shortcut to your homescreen or touch and drag it to your desired position.

Yes, I checked each and every screen that I have. Nothing there.
I’m using ADW on a OnePlus 5T with Android 9.
Yes, I can place any of the widgets that come with the SharpTools App.
Those don’t open up the Chrome Full Screen App.
It does say that “SharpTools.io has been added to your home screen”

Please see the attached scren shot.

Also tried it with the default OnePlus launcher, and I made sure that I had a completely empty screen set up as my Home screen.

I’m able to reproduce this with the ADW Launcher 2. Whenever I use Add to Homescreen, it adds the shortcut to my Pixel 2 XL native homescreen.

From what I’m reading, it looks like several ‘third-party’ launchers have the issue in newer Android versions. It’s odd that the issue exists on the built-in OnePlus launcher.

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, there may be some workaround with either Fully Kiosk Browser, WallPanel, or Anker (the latter generating a simple wrapper for a site whereas the first two are more frequently used as dedicated dashboard displays)

@josh or others, sorry to revive a super old thread. I’m attempting this for the first time on my iPhone and iPad.

It does work, but when I “force quit” the “Added to Home Screen” “app”, it prompts me for password.

I can “swipe up” to close it and re-open without entering password but force-quitting prompts for password.

Any way to resolve that?

I am:

1. Navigating to SharpTools in Safari
  2. Logging in via Phone Number and OTP
  3. Following the directions on this page (Share => Add to Home Screen).

Sorry if I’m doing something stupid!

Matt