Mass edit / Bulk edit of tiles

I’d like the ability to be able to select multiple tiles and make a change that affects all of them. An example would be selecting all of my lights or fans and assigning them the same icon.

bulk editing of dimensions, styles, etc would also be great.

1 Like

Dimensions would probably be pretty straight forward since they are standardized. Styles / Icons are a bit trickier since we moved away from generic default/active states to a more flexible state-mapped approach (eg. on/off, locked/unlocked).

It’s pretty straight forward when you want to copy from one light to another light, but what should happen when you attempt to copy from a light to a lock?

To help clarify, imagine your source was:

Bedroom Light:

• Dimension:
    • Height: 1
    • Width: 2
  • Icons:
    • on: lamp
    • off: lamp
  • Styles:
    • on: lights-active
    • off: lights-default

What happens when you try to copy to a different tile type that doesn’t have the same state mappings?

Front Door

• Dimension:
    • Height: 2
    • Width: 2
  • Icons:
    • locked: unset (eg. ‘locked’)
    • unlocked: unset (eg. ‘unlocked’
  • Styles:
    • locked: unset (eg. ‘active’)
    • unlocked: unset (eg. ‘default’)

My gut feeling is that if there aren’t matching state mappings, then that particular property wouldn’t get copied over (eg. icons and styles), but for something like the dimension it would successfully copy that property over (and overwrite the existing setting).

1 Like

Moving a couple of posts in here to consolidate threads :point_down::point_down::point_down:

@josh was There ever any movement on this topic? I often need to edit multiple tiles at the same time…this would reduce build times substantially.

1 Like

There’s a feature request open for bulk editing of tiles here that you may want to vote on:

I totally agree. Making any kind of sweeping changes is just so cumbersome and painful right now. I did some of mine but gave up hoping for something more efficient.

I have been working most of the day playing with CSS style types (which never having used CSS before I kind of enjoy), but yes once I get the style the way I like it having to update each tiles dims, style, and occasionally icon takes a little bit of the fun out of it. I do however understand Josh’s point in your thread that different attribute types would not be able to handle the same styles in all cases. Perhaps an error handler could give a pop up warning when trying to copy incompatible styles between tiles that don’t have the same capabilities?

Expanding on this I like the idea of a format painter, as in Microsoft programs. Select a tile and then copy the format to other tiles.

1 Like

I am looking to bulk edit style and icon for 10 doors and think this would be ideal since I set them all up the same for my clients. Anyone know a trick so I dont have to click 300 times?

Any word on this feature? I have one temperature sensor with a tile set to change style based on the temperature reading (over 80f → red, over 73 → yellow, over 63 green, equal to or less than 63 → blue)

It’s very cool when it works and the user base (my wife) is a fan. I want to expand it with more sensors throughout our house. I’ve added 5 new sensors. It’s doable to manually edit their tiles on the dashboard, but the ability to copy the conditional style and change the data source would be very nice.

Thanks!

1 Like

It looks like this request has picked up some traction, but there’s still a number of feature requests that have more votes at the moment. We’ll be sure to reply in the thread when there’s updates.

I would also call out the following feature request that you might be interested in which is specifically targeted around creating ‘templates’ for color states that could be reused in case you want to cast a vote on that and bump the thread.

2 Likes