How to connect Tuya devices to SmartThings and SharpTools

:stop_sign: Tuya Support Removed from Globe Suite Integration

The Globe Suite integration no longer supports all Tuya devices. During the initial release, the Globe Suite integration with SmartThings supported all devices, but the latest release of the integration (as of March 2020) has removed support for all non Globe Suite Tuya devices.

As of March 2020, the following steps only apply to Globe Suite branded Tuya devices thanks to these recent updates. :confused:

See the following post for a letter from the Globe Suite team addressing this:
https://community.sharptools.io/t/how-to-connect-tuya-devices-to-smartthings-and-sharptools/2191/42

Tuya is popular and offers cheap but decent bulbs. Historically, it was a big pain to integrate Tuya devices with SmartThings through Smart Life app and IFTTT previously until now. :grinning:

There are several brands, like Geeni and Merkury, using Tuyaā€™s chip/cloud and may be considered as Tuya devices as well.

The integration of Tuya and SmartThings was announced back in SDC 2019, and Tuya is listed in the keynote. (See DMZ article for the summary, and thanks for the picture from @prjct92eh2.)

And I just noticed the integration is actually available through the SmartThings new app a few days ago. :tada: And since it is based on the new ST cloud integration, users can integrate Tuya devices into SmartThings and SharpTools even without the ST hub.

So here are the steps to integrate Tuya devices into SmartThings and SharpTools:

1. Download Globe Suite from App Store/Play Store, and follow the device setup instructions to add the Tuya device in Globe Suite

2. Open SmartThings new app, tap ā€œ+ā€ and ā€œAdd deviceā€ from top-right corner, and select Globe Suite under All brands section.
    (SmartThings new App can be found in App Store/Play Store if you havenā€™t installed already or still thinking about moving from classic to new app :grinning:.)

3. Input your credential you used in Globe Suite app even though it shows Tuyaā€™s icon, because it is powered by Tuyaā€™s cloud anyway. If you have registered another account in TuyaSmart app before, it will prompt and ask where you want it connect to. Select Globe Suite here since we added the device there in step 1.

4. Tap ā€œAuthorizeā€, and you should see the device from your Globe Suite listed below, and it is now to your SmartThings account.

5. Go to SharpTools user page, tap ā€œManage Connectionsā€, select SmartThings. Login with your ST credential, and select this new device, and then tap ā€œAuthorizeā€.

6. Now you can add this Tuya device to your dashboard and rule then. :sunglasses:

Notes:

1. Donā€™t be surprised if some of the Tuya devices are not yet supported in this approach, and please leave comments below if you find any not working in this integration so others can be aware.
  2. If the device doesnā€™t show up in ST after you authorize the connection, try deleting the Globe Suite connection by going to Settings ā†’ Connected Services in the new app, and re-add it again to make sure the right app is selected in the process.

TL;DR - Add Tuya devices to SmartThings and SharpTools through Globe Suite in the ST new app. No physical hub is needed.

1 Like

I cannot seem to get this to work for me. I just got my SmartThings V3 Hub a few days ago and have added my Tuya (Novostella brand) bulbs with this app. The issue Iā€™m having is step #5 when I try to authorize SharpTools to use SmartThings. When I select SmartThings as the platform and then use the drop down menu where it says ā€œHomeā€ and the devices in this example it just shows my name and in parenthesis it says ā€œ0 devicesā€ even though I can see those bulbs, switches, and my Hue bulbs in the SmartThings app. I have screen shots if anyone needs them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @Brian_Bunge, can you try to login SmartThings IDE site using the following link in incognito mode with the same credential you used in the app? Once login, verify the login account, go to My Locations, and select your hubā€™s location. Then go to My Devices tab to see if any devices show up in the list.

https://account.smartthings.com/

Edit: Corrected the link so it will take you to the right ā€˜shardā€™ upon logging in.

I donā€™t know what incognito mode means, but hereā€™s a screenshot of what I see. I did edit out my name and changed the location to Home, but it shows I have no hub and no devices connected:

Brian-
Thanks for the screenshot. Can you clarify what you mean by you edited out your name and changed the location to Home?

If you login at account.smartthings.com, then click My Locations and then click on devices youā€™re seeing no hubs and no devices?

Just to confirm, youā€™re logging in with the same Samsung credentials everywhere, right? If you open up the Samsung SmartThings mobile app, slide out the left navigation, and then tap the cog is it showing the exact same email address as what you saw in the top-right corner of the SmartThings IDE?

What I was saying was under ā€œLocationā€ my name was listed there. I changed it to say ā€œHomeā€ which is what you see in the screenshot I posted.

Yes, I just double-checked and the email address listed are the same in the smartthings app as well as in SmartThings IDE. And youā€™re also correct that when I click on Devices I donā€™t see any hubs or devices.

Iā€™m having the exact same issue when I try to link smartthings to my Alexa account as well as my Harmony Hub account. But when I am in the SmartThings app I have a couple dozen devices listed, including the SmartThings hub, which shows itā€™s connected.

Interesting. Have you reached out to SmartThings support? Iā€™ll ping some of the developer advocates from SmartThings to see if they have any thoughts too.

No, I have not reached out to their support folks yet. I will try to do that tomorrow to see if they have any ideas. Iā€™ve already reset and reconfigured my hub once to see if that was the issue. Apparently that was not.

I do have a new light switch coming tomorrow that I will try to setup in the SmartThings hub (everything else has been setup in the Alexa app first).

Thank you for your help.

1 Like

When you login to SmartThings IDE site, do you use Samsung account or SmartThings account? Just another thought that maybe two different accounts were created using the same email?

I have always logged in with SmartThings account. I donā€™t have any other Samsung branded products so I assumed using SmartThings would make more sense.

Hold onā€¦I just logged on with the Samsung Account and my devices are there! Let me see if this will worksā€¦

2 Likes

Yep, that did the trick! Logging in with Samsung account is what I needed to do. Thank you for all your help, guys! Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll have many more questions as I work on trying to setup my dashboards!

3 Likes

Glad to hear that did the trick, and thanks for reporting Novostella bulb works with this integration as well. Donā€™t forget to show off your dashboard in the thread once you are done setting up your dashboard. :wink:

Iā€™ll definitely show off whatever I come up with. I have a nice long weekend with Christmas a week away, but Iā€™ll warn you Iā€™m not even remotely a programmer. Iā€™m pretty good with technology but I took just enough C++ programming back in the day to be dangerous and that was 30 years and a couple of careers ago. So I will probably need lots of hand-holding. Hopefully tomorrow I can figure out virtual switches in SmartThings to control my Nexlux LED light strips.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from How to connect Tuya devices to SmartThings and SharpTools:

I added the Globe app to my phone and moved one of my Feit color smart bulbs to it. Globe was able to control many of the features of the bulb.

I then added the globe integration to Smart things and found that all controls work great now in smatthings.

I was happy so I went to add my second bulb to globe, and then went to add it to smart things via the Globe integration, but I canā€™t figure out how to get it added to Smart things . Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

So the second bulb is now available. Iā€™m not sure what fixed it. It was just a matter of time or the action of going to Smart things settings > connected services > Globe suites, and it was just listed there.

2 Likes

This seems to be a one-way integration. I can control the device from ST, but when it is manually turned on or off with the physical switch or the SL app, it doesnā€™t update ST.

My device is a fireplace controller https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WJSYBMK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Itā€™s still better and faster than IFTTT!

Continuing the discussion from How to connect Tuya devices to SmartThings and SharpTools:

Yes I noticed the same. That is the unfortunate thing about this. If I used Google assistant for instance to turn on the light, then Smart things isnā€™t aware and the bulb (and consequentially Sharp Tools) still thinks itā€™s off.

I discovered if you refresh the device in ST, it will reflect the switch state. Unfortunately there is no way to automate this in ST. But you can do it in webCore.

Thanks Dan, What do you mean when you say ā€œRefresh the device in Smartthingsā€. Also how can this be emulated in webCore?

Thanks in advance.

For the way I have this setup, itā€™s important for me to be able to basically have 2 way communication between ST and Globe Suite. My use case though is primarily Google Home assitant. So if Google Home turns on the bulb, ST is not being updated with that status (although the Globe app is).

Thanks