Editing on Galaxy S22 Blows Up Dashboard with Spacer Tiles

Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong, I’m having this issue for a month now. On a PC I don’t seem to have this problem, but whenever I edit my S22 dashboard on the S22, it creates all these empty tiles, and spacers by itself, and there no way i can get back to my neat 3 tiles across dashboard, I have no idea how this keeps happening, it’s so fustrating, backing out before saving doesnt help, as it saves the messed up version that i don’t want. So i either have to manually delete each empty tile, and move each tile back as it was, or delete the dashboard and start all over again.

It looks like there are some ghost tiles getting left on the dashboard which is likely causing the rendering issues. (see screenshot snippet below)

It’s very important that if you see these ghost tiles occur that you discard the changes and refresh the page to remove them. Refreshing the page will remove the the ghost tiles so they don’t break anything. Otherwise if the changes are saved while the ghost tiles are on the dashboard, it can cause the system to try to inject spacers to fill what it sees as ‘gaps’.’

Of course, these ghost tiles shouldn’t occur, so if you start to see a pattern that causes these to show up (maybe dragging or editing a particular tile type?) I would be very interested in hearing about it so we can try to reproduce and fix it!

The answer is not to use a cell phone to edit a dashboard.

Now I’m unable to enter a set level value in a simple rule, I’ve been at at for an hour now, I’m starting to question my sanity. because of the If Else boxes, I can’t enter a value, higher up I can, it seems everything I try to do with Sharptools, Sharptools is begging me to stop.
I’m using a computer with firefox if that helps, should I try on another computer?

Can you share the context of the rule? Nesting multiple if conditions can get to the point where the most inner actions become difficult to update.

Oftentimes it’s indicative that the rule could be rewritten to be flatter - I’m happy to take a look at the broader rule and see if it could be flattened.

Alternatively, some people have found that shrinking the width of their browser until it’s closer to a cell phone helps as the IF Conditions become vertically stacked at that point.

It’s on most of my rules, in the end I shrank the browser down to 64% to be able to enter the field. I’ll remember to shrink the browser next time to a cell phone display.

1 Like

@josh

Not knowing the tech behind the Rules UI have you guys ever considered a horizontal scrolling versus vertical layout? I don’t even know if that’s possible.

To my untrained eye it does seem like these virtual cascading tiles seems to be the issue. Especially moving one tile to another row, messes things up, or changing divice display size. It would seem to be more logical to start at the top left corner, and go horizontally, as one writes a sentence, then you take out a tile, and it neatly bunches back towards top left corner, like your competitor does, I think this vertical system is a little more problematic than, “getting to know a new system”. Having hours of work vaporize is quite disheartening, especially when you don’t know why, and it keeps happening.

Yes, but it doesn’t necessarily solve the nested IF problem, so much as just shift it to a different dimension. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If you’re referring to the dashboards again, yes, the ghosted tiles seemed like the issue based on your screenshot. There must be a bug somewhere that’s causing those ghosted tiles, so if you see them again, refreshing your page before saving to clear them out should help as mentioned above

The base layout for tiles is left-to-right, top-to-bottom (if you change your layout in the dashboard settings to ‘Reflowing’, this is even more apparent – see video below). When you are actively dragging a tile, the tiles rearrange in a what’s known as a ‘masonry’ layout, filling gaps vertically. If you’re referring to ActionTiles, you can’t drag tiles directly in their interface. With AT, you can only edit the position of items by rearranging them in a 1-dimension text list.

It’s not clear to me if you’re referring to the bug you experienced with your tile layout getting completely blown up to the ghost tiles… or the differences in how things are laid out while dragging tiles. I understand that the editing experience is different while dragging tiles, but it is consistent in how it always pushes the tiles up/down. If you ever start editing a dashboard and don’t like how things are starting to look, you can always cancel that edit and it will return to it’s previous state.

You can also replace tiles by deleting a tile and then immediately adding a new one. When the tile is deleted, the grid is temporarily frozen so the gap remains and a newly added tile (of the same size) will fill the gap. This is especially helpful when swapping out devices/tiles.

2 Likes