Create "Jukebox" Dashboard with Album Art for Echo or Sonos Devices

Hmm…I went into Edit Tile, I could only see 1 style. I don’t know why I can’t see the 2nd or 3rd style. Please see below 2 photos:

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.01.04 PM
Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.02.03 PM

Here’s a quick video showing the process end-to-end. I moved kind of quickly through things, so you may want to slow down the playback or pause/rewind as necessary. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the video and your help!

This is great… now how do I do this for Hubitat?

From the first post:

1 Like

Yeah, but then there’s a bunch of other posts about how the URIs don’t work and will just play the current track, not load a new playlist.

This has been my experience so far… I can’t get it to play a playlist from a URI, or perhaps I can’t figure out the right way to get the URI to make it do it

Could you share some details on what you’ve tried so far, including screenshots?

I tried just what you posted… Pulling the URI from a playing Sonos speaker and using the playTrack command to make it play on a different one.

If the URI that Hubitat provides is the queue for a specific speaker, then you won’t be able to use that queue ID on a different speaker.

What music source are you trying to play from?

Spotify. Or Apple Music. How do I get URIs for playlists then?

1 Like

The built-in Hubitat Sonos implementation is lacking in that respect. You can technically get “stations” working from Spotify, but it requires putting together a special URL format that I can’t seem to find at the moment.

I haven’t personally used it, but some people have mentioned the jishi/node-sonos-http-api project along with Virtual HTTP Switches as an alternative for exposing additional features. It’s a bit more technical effort as it requires running a special service and isn’t exposed as a normal device (instead requires Virtual HTTP Switches for various commands).

Sigh… seems like more trouble than it’s worth to run a service on my local network. I guess I’ll stick to having Alexa do it or go through the Sonos / Spotify apps

Has anyone tried creating special links to open the Sonos / Spotify apps from a Fully Kiosk tablet?

Yes. If I remember correctly, sonos:// works on most devices (iOS and Android). Otherwise you can use the specific ‘intent’ format for Fully Kiosk Browser:

1 Like

Of course I couldn’t resist so now I’ve got the Jishi node app running… and I’ve got this device handler set up for Hubitat:

I have set up my devices in Hubitat and mapped a button on my House Sonos. In the Hubitat device I can call push with a param of 1 and it will start my playlist. In Sharptools I created a Rule to do the same but it doesn’t seem to actually make the call on the Hubitat side (I don’t see anything in the logs).

Do the devices need to be mapped as actuators to call methods on them? If so, what does it need to do to be identified as an actuator?

1 Like

I saw your post over in the Hubitat community and have replied over there. :slight_smile:

Josh, I am a Hubitat user as well, and I like Jesse cannot get Hubitat to play a playlist from Spotify using the uri, it just does the same as Jesse described.

any luck digging out your notes?

edit to add more intel to this question,
when I view my sonos on Hubitat it has a slightly different uri then the example, the info I have starts with: x-sonos-vli:RINCON_…
not sure if that is causing the issue or not.

Thanks
Bob

Hi! I’m fairly new to all of the sharptool things so I’m not familiar with a variety of things. As far as the jukebox and adding echo to smartthings, does this STILL work with echo and smartthings?

Also, is adding echo speakERS to smartthings the same as adding echo speakS to smartthings? (Notice it’s speakers vs speaks) Are the two referring to the same thing? Also, in the same YouTube video that you was linked above by SimplySmart123, he mentioned about a month ago he replied to a recent comment as he said, “Unfortunately, Echo speaks was killed by smartthings so this is no longer working.”

If this still works, do I add echo speakers to smartthings the SAME way he did in the video?
Thanks.

Also does this work with echo dot 4th generation?

No, Echo Speaks is not the same as adding Echo Speakers. :slightly_frowning_face:

The comment from Justin at Simply Smart is right. SmartThings killed off the Echo Speaks integration a few months back. Echo Speaks still works with the Hubitat hub.

Sonos devices can still be used with this Jukebox / Music Player approach though.