Vote for Feature: Tile Pops Up Multiple Tiles Overlaid on Dashboard

Feature Request: tapping a single tile pops up a set of multiple tiles (or another dashboard) overlaid on the existing dashboard, similar to the way tiles are shown for the HSM selector tile (below). The existing dashboard therefore shows through, with its background blurred, so that the user has the seamless experience of remaining on the same dashboard page. Moreover, a simple tap of the close button returns the user to the existing dashboard.

Example use case 1: tapping a single Lights tile pops up a set of individual light switch tiles (or a light switch dashboard) overlaid onto the existing dashboard.

Example use case 2: tapping an album art tile pops up additional music control tiles, like volume control, track control, device grouping, etc.

Associated feature request (also posted as separate feature): dashboard tile’s state (style and icon) able to follow the state of a variable. So the Lights tile can follow the state of an “anyLightOn” variable.

Note: creating a dashboard tile to open up another dashboard (with transparent background) in a modal doesn’t currently do the same thing because the dashboard won’t show the existing dashboard’s background behind it.

2 Likes

That’s a neat concept. So the idea would be you could add a ‘multi device popup’ tile to your dashboard, then configure that tile with a selection of devices that you’d like to see and when you tapped on it you would see something like your screenshot above, but with the selected devices?

For simplicity’s sake in configuration, is the expectation that the devices would just show their default ‘hero’ capability/attribute? Otherwise I could see the configuration getting overly complex within a single ‘multi device popup’ tile… the challenge is that there’s lots of devices with an overloaded set of capabilities where the default might not actually be what you want. :thinking:

At that point I wonder if it would make sense to just be able to expose another dashboard as a modal with a more seamless experience. For example, taking the ‘Dashboard’ tile and adding an option to ‘Open in Modal’ and if that is selected, then display an additional option to ‘Make Background Transparent’ or something like that.

Yup. If you can accomplish the same effect by opening a dashboard in a modal with a transparent background, i think that would definitely be the best and easiest option. Because then neither you nor the user has to figure out a new user interface for configuring the multi-device popup tile. I think a “Make Background Transparent” option would work if it’s accompanied by the existing Advanced options for controlling blurring, etc. The only thing here would be that I think the “modal” in this case would need to be the same size as the underlying dashboard, rather than being popped up in a smaller window. That way the location of tiles is consistent with what you expect when you create the dashboard to be overlaid.

One other thing: I would want a “Doors tile” to show a closed door icon if all doors are closed and to show an open door icon if at least one door is open. Then, clicking on the Doors tile would pop up my Doors dashboard with a transparent background. As it stands now, I think the only way to do that is to use a Variables Tile whose state follows an “anyDoorOpen” variable set using Rule Machine and whose action is set to open the URL of the Doors dashboard. So, to have the functionality in the above example, the dashboard tile would need to be enhanced to have its state follow a variable too. Or, the Variables tile would need to be enhanced to open a dashboard’s URL with a transparent background - but not sure how that would work since the openURL functionality is generic, not just for dashboards.

Thanks for showing interest in this! I really like this idea because it effectively expands the functionality of a single dashboard and gives lots of controls at a user’s fingertips, without the user feeling like they are having to navigate deep into a page structure.

2 Likes

I went ahead and renamed the topic title and moved it into the Feature Requests category. Feel free to rename the topic if you don’t feel like my adjustment describes it well enough (and be sure to scroll up and cast a vote).

Edit: I see you’ve gotten creative with your renaming of the topic. :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

How many votes does a feature need to make the cut? :slight_smile: The better the idea, the fewer the votes needed? So, like 2 votes for this one? Jk

Oops, just suggested basically the same thing without finding this one

Thinking about this some more, implementing this with a dashboard overlay would probably require the ability to turn off the animation on dashboard load. So that the dashboard icons don’t “fly in” from the top left corner, but instead pop up like the icons do for the HSM selector.