SmartThings Motion Sensor Temperature

Is there a way to make the SmartThings motion sensors show the temperature? Also the multipurpose sensor? I like to keep an eye on temps around the house.

yup. I use tasker to grab the values and then have Alexa or home respond to ā€œwhat is the temperature XXā€ XX being location.

for a single monitor is just a return, but for example, when I ask about the outside temperature, I use multiple sensors and do math since areas of the yard are different Temps. *same with the insideā€¦ if your have multiple in one room, check all of them and do math to get an average. itā€™s a better result than one sensor baking in the sun or one thatā€™s always in the shade.

here is a snap of my setup in tasker:

Google Photos

@Nathan_Cabe if you are referring to on the SharpTools.io dashboard, Iā€™m working on adding a ā€˜Hero Attributeā€™ layout where youā€™ll be able to pick a single attribute as a main attribute to display in a large size in the center of the card.

Or are you just looking to have the temperature added to the existing Motion tile?

@thecolor_cypher thatā€™s an awesome use for the Tasker setup. I love the averaging of the values together to get a better idea of the temperature.

Originally yes just asking for the temp to be added to the tile. But i love the idea of the hero attribute.

1 Like

Looking forward to being able to select a different attribute like temperature as the ā€œheroā€ for a tile!

2 Likes

@Nathan_Cabe and @Jive we just pushed the Hero Attribute Tiles live with the latest platform release: Dashboard Themes and Hero Attribute Tiles

3 Likes

Very Nice, Thanks! Works very well!

2 Likes

Nice! Would love a way to change tile color based on the thingā€™s temperature attribute (which I can now display thanks to this update), but this is definitely a nice update :slight_smile:

Thanks.

Like a per tile setting where you could set a threshold for changing between the default color and active color? Eg. If > 90 then active, else default

just guessing here but maybeā€¦ as like the ST app, the hotter it gets the more red it turns. The cooler it gets the more the shade turns from green to blue
red-yellow-green-blue , Hot-warm-cool-cold ?

Just guessing out loud

Ideally for a temperature tile there would be multiple thresholds where the tileā€™s color would change from blue (sub-zero), to green (comfortable), to yellow (warm), to red (every day right now) with gradual shades in between threshold points.

That may be a tall order just for a single type of tile, though. An alternative may be a ā€œcustomā€ tile where we can use attribute data and javascript to control the titleā€™s layout, colors, text, etc. As custom code for such a tile would run on the client side, any inefficient code added by a user would only put a strain on their own browser, not SharpToolsā€™ server.

I havenā€™t looked into Rule Engineā€™s functionality yet (only just requested access), but if it doesnā€™t currently have it, interaction/control of tiles may be a great way to make it easy for users to customize tiles based on their desired parameters.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been thinking a lot about extensibility and the ability for users to build their own tiles. Iā€™m mostly worried about security issues - allowing the running of arbitrary JavaScript opens up additional risk.

We really want to foster an open platform with the ability for users to customize thingsā€¦ but not at the risk of security, so we want to make sure we think through this clearly.

The next logical step is for code to start being shared - and what happens when someone starts sharing malicious code and people inadvertently start installing it without knowing what it does?

True, there is a potential risk, but I think the community will vet contributions like a lot of other HA platforms that allow arbitrary code to be run (e.g. SmartThings, Node-RED, etc.). There are usually enough users with programming experience in these communities that nefarious code will be found relatively quickly.

1 Like