Share your cool SharpTools project!

That is freaking cool!

1 Like

Are the tiles black or transparent? If transparent, how? Also, how do you do a background image?

Maybe I’ve missed those in updates the last few months.
Y’all are kicking butt on the platform.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure he used black tiles, black background, and a media tile in the middle to give the ‘background’ effect. I love the style though. :grinning:

1 Like

Hint hint. Background pic and transparent tiles. :wink:

3 Likes

Very cool. Looks like the media tile is 6 tiles wide, something that other dashboards cannot do, as they are limited to maximum 3.

4 Likes

hi,
just started to play with this great tool (thanks!).

I override part of the css with a chrome plugin, and had a little fun.
Thanks again, can’t wait to put that on my wall.

6 Likes

@Tim that looks really awesome - thanks for sharing!

I moved to SharpTools from ActionTiles. Much more polished, thanks for the good work. Here’s my home dashboard. Any tile with parenthesis and a number is actually a virtual device that shows (and controls multiple lights). Everything works, the only issue is that the thermostat is painfully slow in showing the correct set point.

5 Likes

Here is what I use for my main interface on my phone

4 Likes

Hey Tim just admiring your dashboard and was thinking about doing something similar to your setup. How do you get the left side menus selections to look like that? I see that each tile lights up with a single line to show you what menu item you have selected.

2 Likes

I’m not sure exactly what CSS @Tim applied, but based on his commentary it sounds like he is using custom CSS with a Chrome browser plugin to style things accordingly.

You could approximate the concept of a highlighted/selected ‘tab’ by using the same set of Dashboard tiles on each page with only the ‘active’ one modified with a different color.

In Tim’s example it looks like there is a Main, Bedroom and Audio tab. So on the ‘Main’ dashboard, the Dashboard tile for ‘Main’ could use the Tile Editor to apply a different color to it (or use CSS as in Tim’s approach). The other Dashboard tiles on the ‘Main’ dashboard would have the standard color. This concept would be replicated on each dashboard with only the ‘active’ tile for that particular dashboard having a highlighted background color.

2 Likes

How did you do the graph? I want something similar but for a power meter that i currently have paire to my smartthings hub. Thanks!!

Tim - You wouldn’t want to share your CSS with us, would you? This is fantastic!

3 Likes

hey,

so, i played with the chrome plugin Stylus to override the CSS, but it was not a good solution. i lost everything after changing my computer, and not saving what I did… and i could not find a plugin that i can use on a tablet…
But i think i ll will dive again into that and give you that asap (when work permits, maybe around Christmas).

A question / feature request for you @josh: i would love an option to override the style / css directly into Sharptools. Do you think that could be an option?

thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder if we might be able to accommodate most needs through other feature enhancements (eg. more customization features). I think it’s awesome that people are finding cool and creative ways to tweak SharpTools.io to meet their needs with external plugins, but I should caution that we might tweak class names or DOM structure at some point in the future. :slight_smile:

Hey, Im fairly new to the whole sharptools platform(still testing, coming from actiontiles). I really like the look of the set up in the 1st picture. How can I create something like that on my dashboard?

Are you referring to the very first picture in this thread with the light background and the white wood frame?

Yes sir!! I need to know how that is done! :heart_eyes:

That design is pretty neat! It was actually an Android homescreen that the user customized on a large Android device using the SharpTools for Android widgets. You can find more details on how they built it in their original SmartThings community post:

He used an Android app called Total Launcher along with the theme Flattered to get the style his wife was looking for.

One thing you’ll notice is there’s actually relatively limited home automation control on the screen. Most of the icons are actually just images to launch native applications on the tablet (Google Home, Shopping List, Google Assistant, Chat, Chrome, Email, TinyCam, etc). The original creator mentioned in their post that much of the effort was picking the color scheme and finding icons to use for the apps.

You could achieve a similar effect on SharpTools.io dashboards using the newly announced Media Tile ‘Open Hyperlink’ action. The basic approach would be to create Media items for each of the various application icons you wanted on the screen and then add those as tiles to a dashboard and edit the media tile’s action to open an app via hyperlink.

1 Like

I know this was a really old comment…but I was wondering if you could share your fireplace setup. Is it gas? If so, how are you controlling it?