[Resolved] Trouble Saving Dashboards

Anyone having issues saving changes to their dashboards?

I started revamping several of my dashboards yesterday and have been encountering this new “Error saving dashboard” message. With some testing, I’ve found I can move an existing tile left/right/up/down one tile and trigger this error. It’s not every change, but it’s often enough that I’m now saving with every time I move (or add) a tile.

I’ve noticed that I can see the animation of blank spaces being filled with spacer tiles before the error appears instead of the normal message saying “delete excess tile?”

I’m using Edge and have not cleared my cache yet.

Screenshot 2024-02-23 184823

If you create a brand new dashboard with just one or two tiles on it, are you able to reproduce the issue? Or is it only occurring on one particular dashboard you are editing?

If it’s the latter, can you send a note to support@sharptools.io with the impacted dashboard’s URL?

You should only see that particular error message when there are Spacer tiles on your dashboard that come after the last ‘real’ tile on your dashboard. In general, you would want to agree to removing the excess spacer tiles when prompted.

I was able to find log entries for these failed saves. It looks like the payload size for the updates is a bit too big (massive dashboard). I’ll take a look at getting an update out that increases the allowed payload size.

In the meantime, you could significantly reduce the size of your dashboard by combining Super Tiles. The dashboard currently has hundreds of individual Spacer Tiles on it which seem to be one of the biggest contributors to the overall size.

CleanShot 2024-02-23 at 21.37.58

Using your originally screenshot from above, this group of several individual Spacer Tiles could be replaced with a single 2x4 spacer.

8 Spacer tiles → 1 Spacer tile is an almost ~90% reduction.

That reduction in the total number of tiles should also improve the performance of loading the dashboard too as it’s much less items to render. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Never thought the spacer tiles would impact loading, gonna edit some dashboards now :smiley:

I cannot save any changes to my Dashboards either. Dosen’t matter if it is a large or small Dashboard…

Im not sure if this is related, but when clicking on the short cut button on Android, it goes to the Dashboard not found screen for about 4 seconds, then opens a completely scrambled version of the correct Dashboard for a couple seconds, then organizes it correctly after a couple more seconds.

I’ve noticed this same, new behavior too.

Lots of good info here I didn’t know. Any other general guidelines, like the ones you shared here, that we should follow?

I dont typically have more than a few spacer tiles unless I’m experimenting with dashboards.

I started testing separating single Super Tiles into multiple STs (titles in one ST, data in the other). I was trying this out because the ST’s layouts slightly change depending on the display they’re on (I have several screens with differing resolutions).

I’m having the same issue for the last few days on browser, tablets running FKB, and mobile.

Looking closely at this dashboard, it looks like an ultra small tile size was used (large number of columns). So there’s quite a bit of room for optimization in this example too:

Tile Groups:

• 5 ⨉ 7 = 35
  • 15 ⨉ 1 = 15
  • 2 ⨉ 6 = 12

Total Individual Tiles:

• 35 + 15 + 12 = 62
  • Reduced to 3 blocks = 95% reduction

Same with the next dashboard:

Tile Groups

• 3 ⨉ 2 = 6
  • 6 ⨉ 2 = 12
  • 4 ⨉ 3 = 12
  • 10 ⨉ 1 = 10

Total Individual Tiles:

• 6 + 12 + 12 + 10 = 40
  • Reduced to 4 blocks = 90% reduction

We’ve pushed an update which should 10x the allowed payload size.

@Wet.Blanket @JKB121 can you give it a try and let me know if this has improved things?

It has resolved editing and saving problems on all of my Dashboards. Thank you. I will also reduce the number of spacers as well.

Is the Dashboard not found issue above related? I still get that and it looks like Terri and Wet Blanket have noticed this as well.

1 Like

I made quite a few optimization changes on my troubled dashboard (before you pushed the update, I suspect) and haven’t been able to replicate the issue since deleting a lot of super tiles and spacers.

Thanks for your attention to this user-caused issue!

1 Like

I tagged you all in a separate thread and will track the issue there. :slight_smile:

:link: Dashboard Not Found In Fully Kiosk

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.