Notifications, Rule Engine Enhancements, and Sign-in Account Linking

As clarification, the Z-wave part of the Iris Outlets should be configured as a Generic Z-wave Repeater. Since it doesn’t do anything but help the Z-wave mesh, there is no reason to authorize it in Sharp Tools.

1 Like

I notice the first part of this question (dusk/dawn data) never was answered (that I can find). Is that still a candidate feature?

Yes, sunset/sunrise triggers have been developed for the Rule Engine and are planned for an upcoming release. :smiley:

Exciting! For a newbee, how do we know when new releases happen and what’s in them?

You can subscribe to the relevant Announcements category for the type of release you are interested in. :slight_smile:

You can find more details in the welcome post including some more information on how to subscribe to the announcements:

Somewhat related, you can also manage your community email/notification preferences from your community profile. For example, some people like to receive a weekly digest of the community to keep up with posts as there’s often good information outside of the announcements:

Tap your profile image in the top-right corner of the page and then tap the preferences cog.

Select Email from the left menu and then adjust your preferences accordingly:

Back on 11/12, you mentioned the slow dim up/down for lights would be in an upcoming release. Forgive me if I missed it, but is that still upcoming?

I reviewed my announcements and didn’t see it, but didn’t want to miss it.

The Sunset and Sunrise triggers and conditions in the Rule Engine are planned for next week’s release. :grin:

Can you clarify what you mean by slow dim up/down though? If you are referring to dimming a light up over a few seconds, you can do that today in a rule as long as your light supports it. Some lights accept a second parameter to the setLevel(level, duration) command where the duration is how long it should take the light to dim to the desired level. If it’s a longer period of time, you could send multiple setLevel commands with delays between them on a rule.

To clarify, I mean the ability to control lights to slowly turn up or down over a longer (e.g. 15 mins) period of time. So turning the lights on in a bedroom, for instance, over 15 minutes, so as to approximate the sun rising. Does that help?

Not the ability to trigger something at the point of sunrise and/or sunset.

Thanks for clarifying, @Casey_Stanley - we’ll add it to the list as a potential enhancement. Behind the scenes, I think it would effectively be doing something like the following. I could see how having a single quick command to handle the dimming over a period would be really helpful and streamlined!

That would get me there, though. Thanks for the suggestion. I know Samsung’s App has the “Gentle Wake Up” automation that is very slick. I can use/trigger that in the meantime.

Appreciate everything you do!

1 Like

Sunrise and Sunset as triggers are included in the latest release. You can find more details in the following announcement:

2 Likes

Are there variables that can be captured and sent in email from a rule?

If Motion1 or Motion2 are active THEN send email to abc@def.com “Hey, Motion1 was active.”

@Darell_Craighead variables are on our hitlist and we’ve been working on some prototypes. In the meantime, the solution would be to use multiple IF conditions:

# Trigger(s):
Motion1 is active
Motion2 is active

# Flow:
If Motion1 is active
THEN send email to user@domain.com "Hey, Motion1 was active"

If Motion2 is active
THEN send email to user@domain.com "Hey, Motion2 was active"

Keep in mind that Triggers are always OR’ed together (eg. if any of the events happen, they will trigger the rule)… whereas IF conditions can changed between AND / OR depending on your use case.

1 Like

Just wanted to make sure you are aware of the “Fade level” command feature we released back in Feb. You can find more details in the announcement below, and it would definitely simplify the command needed to change level value over x period. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there a way to send to notifications to another email?

1 Like

Not at the moment, but we’ve noted your feedback. :smiley:

(We’ll need to add some sort of opt-in confirmation to allow other email addresses to be used as a recipient in order to comply with anti-SPAM regulations)

In the meantime, you could use Pushover, Pushbullet, or Twilio SMS to send to multiple recipients.

For Pushover and Pushbullet, you’d need to have the target device registered into your respective Pushover/Pushbullet account as a recipient. For Twilio SMS, you can send to any phone number you want as you’re responsible for managing your own Twilio SMS account and any ‘opt-ins’ (on a Twilio paid plan).

1 Like

Any progress with multiple email addresses without using a third party? Could a user just have a limited number of email addresses on their account? Even two would help.
Alternately, could you have multiple users on a single account and select any of their email addresses?

Is there a way to select multiple devices on the same trigger, but output a notification that can specify which device it was? This is to reduce the number of rules required from many to one and include device data with the message.

This is directly from the Hubitat Notifications app:
Use %device% to include event device name, %value% to include event value, %text% to include event description, %time% to include event time, and %date% to include event date.

It’s in development at the moment. @James is actively working on a broader ‘context variables’ implementation which will likely be the next beta release assuming no major issues are identified.

You can vote on it here:

We have the request noted internally, but it hasn’t been prioritized yet. I just took a look through the Feature Requests category and it doesn’t look like there’s a dedicated request for it yet. Perhaps you could create a feature request topic for having additional email addresses available as ‘send to’ targets?

Feature requests can be voted on by the community, so it makes it easier for us to understand the level of community interest in various requests and prioritize accordingly. :slight_smile: