Music, Weather, Spacers, and Media Tiles

@Adam_Gardner thanks for posting and sorry that things aren’t working as expected. Can you tell me more about the device you’re viewing this on? I think I found the same radar image you’re using from the Denver CBS site and I tried to reproduce the issue by creating a similar dashboard layout, but I was unable to reproduce the issue.

1287605214_lr

Weird. It’s an old Samsung Tab 4. I think it’s a 7" screen. The model number is SM-T230NU, if that helps at all.

EDIT: one thing i would add - when i turn the screen vertical, it doesn’t create a gap underneath it.

Do you have any other devices you can test on and can you reproduce the issues with those?

Just for ‘debugging’ purposes, you might also try some variations of the settings on the Media Tile. Maybe try keeping the scaling as ‘cover’, but try setting the Media Position to 100% so it aligns the bottom of the image with the tile. Or try the ‘fill’ option which appears to dimensionally work well in a 1x2 tile with that particular radar image.

What browser are you viewing the dashboard in and what Android OS version is the device running? Looking online, it says the OS was 4.4 but I wasn’t sure if there were any updates pushed for the device.

The browser is Chrome. I actually added 2 items to the Dashboard and it fixed itself… Still a weird issue though.

I do have another tablet I can test this on though - Samsung Tab A, which has a larger screen, and a Kindle Fire, which has about the same size.

UPDATE: it appears that testing on the larger Samsung Tab A won’t recreate the issue. The larger screen size doesn’t allow the tiles to fill the screen like the smaller tab. Even when I change the tile size, it’s not reproducing the issue. I’m charging the kindle fire now… configuring that may take a bit, it’s horribly out of date.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not recreating it on either of my other tablets (Fire or the larger Tab A), so I’m not sure… I know that the tablet I’m having issues with is hopelessly out of date. I’ve tried using a custom rom, but it didn’t take… It won’t be a major issue for me, but I’ll at least leave a note here for versions to watch out for:

Android version: 4.4.2 (how embarrassing… :rofl:)
Chrome version: 71.0.3578.99

1 Like

Thanks for the update and thanks for testing things, Adam! Those older Android devices can sometimes be a bit wonky… we’ve chipped away at improving compatibility with old Android 4.4 devices based on feedback we’ve received here and there, but your best compatibility is going to be with the newer devices as you’ve found!

1 Like

Not a problem! I just wanted to leave one more note here - it seems like it has to do with the tile dimension of 2x2 and not the media tile. I created a security tile that was 2x2 and it did the same thing. Again, not a problem, just wanted to leave you a note.

1 Like

I’ve just realised how valuable this would be. Here’s hoping!

2 Likes

How do you edit the media URL of a media tile?

You can edit Media resources (and other resources) from the Manage Resources tab of your user page. To get there, tap your profile image in the top-right corner of the page and then select Manage Resources.

Thanks Josh.
I thought I had looked everywhere.

Any thoughts on getting Control4 to work with this… a tile for music control, similar to what is shown above with Sonos?

If you can sync the Control4 device into one of our supported hubs (SmartThings, Hubitat, Home Assistant) and it reports the required album metadata, then you could authorize that virtual/proxy device to SharpTools.