Fire + TinyCam + Fully + Mixed Content

@josh Just getting back to this. Did I provide everything you needed above? I don’t think it’s a DNS issue since some browsers in the same device work while others don’t, which unless there are specific DNS resolution options within each browser (and I don’t think there is), implies it’s not DNS?

I didn’t see which WebView version is being used. :point_down:

The error message ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED reads as a DNS resolution issue. That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s an issue with your internet, but it points to a DNS resolution issue in that screenshot.

Understanding what WebView version you are on and ideally updating it to as new of a version as you can would be ideal here.

I would also be curious about these results.

Hey @S_D - did you see my responses above?

• Please share the WebView version (steps above)
  • The error is a DNS resolution issue; could be something special in the webview though.
  • What were the results of testing the traefik or sslip.io versions?

I also put together a proof of concept with our own DNS resolver that effectively does the same thing as these services if you wanted to try it. It’s available at {local-ip}.st-ip.net formatted like the others.

Example: http://192-168-1-15.st-ip.net:8083/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?camera=1

Finally got back to this. Screen shot of WebView is below. Tried the st-ip.net and receive the same error that the image can not load (using Fully).

How do I upgrade the Webview?

Okay, so updated Fully to 1.53 and used an apk to update the webview, now things are actually worse as Fully doesn’t show any streams (before it would show the regular IP addresses but not the ones with nip.io or st-ip.net).

Is there anything in my Asus router settings I should check as it relates to not resolving nip.io or similar?

Right now both my tablets are useless (as I also need to figure out how to get my Harmony integrations working again…saw some threads on that but tackling this first).

Lastly, I’m using Tinycam as the webserver as it was less intensive than using BlueIris. If there is an easier way to do this using BlueIris, I can try that as well?

Hm. That’s a good question around where the resolution is failing. I was trying to piece together some of what you described earlier, but it’s not clear to me. Unfortunately, it wasn’t always clear which device + browser + network you were testing with… and it wasn’t always clear if it was a test of the URL directly in the browser or within an embedded SharpTools Media Resource.

nip.io resolution results:

• :x: Chrome on Work PC (post)
    Note: I’m not sure if you were trying to say that nip.io itself worked fine, but other x.nip.io URLs weren’t working?
  • :white_check_mark: Chrome on Home Laptop (post)
  • :x: Chrome on Non-Work (post)
  • :white_check_mark: Silk on Fire tablet (post)
    Note: Unclear if this is the newer or older tablet (or both) and with which OS/webview versions
  • :white_check_mark: iPhone Safari (post)
  • :x: iPhone Chrome (post)
    Note: Not clear what the difference was, what URLs were being tested, if the networks were the same, and which network

This is to be expected. As noted in my very first reply, the reason we were looking at the nip.io or st-ip.net workaround was for your one tablet that updated to a newer version as Chromium 111 and newer has a bug with mixed content and IP addresses.

Maybe. :person_shrugging: Can you tell us more about your DNS configuration?

It’s still not clear why it would work in Chrome on one of your home laptops, but not the other or what the differences between each test was.

It’s not clear to me what OS you are using on your non-work laptops, but if it’s Windows, you could try the following command in a terminal (command prompt):

nslookup -debug 192.168.1.31.st-ip.net

You should get something like the following (please share it):

C:\Users\josh>nslookup -debug 192.168.1.10.st-ip.net
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 1, rcode = NXDOMAIN
        header flags:  response, auth. answer, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 0,  additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
        1.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN

------------
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  192.168.1.1

------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 2, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 1,  authority records = 0,  additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
        192.168.1.10.st-ip.net, type = A, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    ->  192.168.1.10.st-ip.net
        internet address = 192.168.1.10
        ttl = 30 (30 secs)

------------
Non-authoritative answer:
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 3, rcode = NOERROR

QUESTIONS:
        192.168.1.10.st-ip.net, type = AAAA, class = IN

------------
Name:    192.168.1.10.st-ip.net
Address:  192.168.1.10

I think it should go without saying at this point, but I would need you to share those results. I can’t help without the details.

Weird. So last night I was heading up to bed, walked past my FireHD tablet, and suddenly one of the streams was coming through, the one with the st-ip.net link in it. When I woke up this morning, it no longer was working. WTH?

Here’s the results of that command on the laptop where http://192.168.1.15.st-ip.net:8083/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?camera=1 works.

Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 1, rcode = NOERROR

QUESTIONS:
        1.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    ->  1.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
        name = RT-AX86U-0888
        ttl = 0 (0 secs)

------------
Server:  RT-AX86U-0888
Address:  192.168.1.1

------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:

QUESTIONS:
        192.168.1.31.st-ip.net, type = A, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    ->  192.168.1.31.st-ip.net
        internet address = 192.168.1.31
        ttl = 30 (30 secs)

------------
Non-authoritative answer:
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 3, rcode = SERVFAIL

QUESTIONS:
        192.168.1.31.st-ip.net, type = AAAA, class = IN

------------
Name:    192.168.1.31.st-ip.net
Address:  192.168.1.31

Here is the same command on another home laptop where when I try the stip.net address I get:

># This site can’t be reached
>
>Check if there is a typo in 192.168.1.15.st-ip.net.
>
>* If spelling is correct, [try running Windows Network Diagnostics](javascript:diagnoseErrors()).
>
>DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Command result:

console
nslookup -debug 192.168.1.31.st-ip.net
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 1, rcode = NOERROR

QUESTIONS:
        210.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    ->  210.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
        name = DD-WRT
        ttl = 0 (0 secs)

------------
Server:  DD-WRT
Address:  192.168.1.210

------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:

QUESTIONS:

------------
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 3, rcode = SERVFAIL

QUESTIONS:

------------
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 4, rcode = NOERROR

QUESTIONS:

------------
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 5, rcode = SERVFAIL

QUESTIONS:

------------
*** No internal type for both IPv4 and IPv6 Addresses (A+AAAA) records available for 192.168.1.31.st-ip.net

Thanks for the update. When posting long blocks of text / logs, please make sure to format things accordingly. Otherwise it makes it unnecessarily difficult to try to understand what was posted when the regular community formatting takes over.

:page_facing_up: Formatting Content for Community Posts - SharpTools Knowledge Base

It looks like you are running DD-WRT which is a custom router firmware with advanced features.

I would check how DNS resolution is setup on your router. The logs appear to indicate that the DNS resolution for the A record responded with NOERROR and that it needed to recursively look up the DNS record (which is totally normal), but then the recursive lookup never occurred.

Hmmm…DD-WRT is used on an old access point router in my backyard about 100 feet away.

Main router is an ASUS with ASUS Merlin on it.

What seems super strange is that the stip URL was working the night before (only noticed it as I walked by) and then the next morning wasn’t.

I wonder if maybe I had set up reserved IP addresses on the DD-WRT router when I used it as my main and forgot to remove those. Will check when I’m back home later this week. Or just unplug it and see what happens.

…and adjusted formatting above.

Actually, looking at the code again. One of the laptops connects via the Asus router (which resolves st-ip.net, the other via DD-WRT. That seems odd. The second one with DD-WRT is the one not working. Wonder if the Fire’s are connecting via DD-WRT.

Is there a similar command one can run via the Amazon fire tablets?

Boom…wow so weird. Had something to do with the DD-WRT access point in my cabana some 100 feet from the house. I unplugged that AP, restarted the 2017 tablet and the st-ip addresses all work now. What I can’t understand is why several devices were getting DHCP from that access point as it’s by far the farthest away, and consistently so. Only thing I can imagine is that when I switched it from being my main router to an AP well over a year ago, maybe there were reserved DHCP allocations that I didn’t reset. Why the heck I would reserve DHCP for a laptop and the Fire tablets is beyond me, but entirely possible.

Super curious what DNS setting in the DD-WRT software causes it, as I don’t think I adjusted any of them from stock.

Sorry for the huge waste of time!

Now I need to figure out why all my Harmony integrations don’t work and how to get them to work again. Well, I think I recall the thread on why they don’t work, but haven’t looked hard enough into how to get them working again but seem to recall something on it.

2 Likes

Just to say I love to see this resolved, I liked following and amazing what a stretch it can get to find the issue. Good work on not giving up on it!

1 Like

Ugh…of course for some reason none of the cameras are displaying images again.

Will have to take a look given I haven’t changed anything!