Fire + TinyCam + Fully + Mixed Content

Sorry, not sure what details I’m omitting. But…

Using TinyCam Pro with webserver enabled on a NVidia Shield, port set to 8083, 192.168.1.15 is the address of the Shield.

Have resources set up in my Sharptools.io dashboard with the URLs to various cameras (have 7 cameras on the TinyCam). For instance, http://192.168.1.15:8083/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?camera=1 is my front door camera.

The tiles work on my Amazon FireHD8 2017 tablet, but do not work on my Amazon FireHD8 2020 tablet.

I’m testing this on a laptop using Chrome.

Clicking on nip.io works fine on the desktop.

I tried all links above, get the same NXDomain error.

Nothing special that I can think of around my network/DNS setup.

No prompts for passwords etc, goes right to the image.

Something is wrong with DNS somewhere along the line if you are getting the DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error in Chrome with all of the above examples.

The screenshot doesn’t look like an incognito window. If you were ever prompted for your credentials or accepted any prompts, the browser could be saving those. That’s why it’s important to try a fresh incognito session.

Incognito, no popups either.

Let me try from a non-work laptop to see if nip.io works.

Bingo…nip.io URL embedded link works fine from my home laptop. So probably a DNS or restriction somewhere my company puts on the laptops. Now to see if it works with Fully.

@Jordan_Welker, by chance did you figure out how to get Fully to work again? I seem to be having the same issue that you are where even adding in nip.io into the address doesn’t work.

I suspect that Jordan’s issue was slightly different as they mentioned that nip.io didn’t work at all for them and they had mentioned that in the context of Chrome. Without more details, it’s unclear what their configuration was though.

Fire HD 8 Test

I just tested on a Fire HD 8 Plus (10th gen) with the version details shown in my screenshot below and it worked for me.

• It was showing Fire OS 7.3.2.7 installed from February or earlier. After that, I went through a ton of updates manually.
  • Unfortunately, I forgot to check the Webview version with my original test, but you can see the version details in my screenshot below.
  • You can access the ‘Device Info’ from my first screenshot within Fully Kiosk Settings → Other Settings (bottom) → Device Info (bottom)

Have you gone through these steps, noting the results of each, to help narrow things down?

Desktop / Laptop on Chrome (if available)

1. Test the camera URL directly in your browser:
    http://192.168.1.15:8083/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?camera=6

2. Test the nip.io URL directly in your browser:
    http://192.168.1.15.nip.io:8083/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?camera=6

3. Test the nip.io URL within a SharpTools Media Resource
    (SharpTools User Page > Manage Resources > Media)

Fire Tablet (Silk Browser)

1. Test the camera URL directly in your Silk browser:

2. Test the nip.io URL directly in your Silk browser:

Fire Tablet (Fully Kiosk Browser)

1. Test the camera URL directly in your Fully Kiosk browser:

2. Test the nip.io URL directly in your Fully Kiosk browser:

Sorry just getting back to this.

Just tried it on my 2017 Fire HD8 tablet.

The nip.io link opens up fine in the Silk browser.

It won’t open in the Fully browser…

The standard camera URL works fine in the Fully browser.

Have to try it on a non work laptop as well.

Also, the nip.io link works fine on my iPhone in Safari, not in Chrome.

Tried it on a non-work laptop. Same issue, Chrome and Firefox give the “We can’t connect to the server at 192.168.1.15.nip.io.” error.

So it works on Safari and Silk, but not Fully, Chrome or Firefox. Could have sworn it worked on another one of my personal laptops but can’t recall which it was.

Unfortunately, I’m unable to help without the details.

It’s really important to include the results of each step along with the details of any error messages (screenshots preferred). And in general, it’s important to include details like version numbers, device make/model, and any other relevant details about the configuration or testing.

As a free user, we try to offer as much support as we can through our community and documentation. Providing these details will enable both us and the community to assist you more effectively.

I’ve tested each of these steps on a variety of new and old devices and I’m not able to reproduce the issue. The DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN issue mentioned above is clearly a DNS / networking issue. It’s not clear exactly what error messages you were seeing when things weren’t working with some of your recent tests but “We can’t connect to the server at XXX” sounds like a networking error.

That’s part of the reason I asked for result of each of the steps above: it starts with a fundamental validation of network connectivity to your camera, then tests nip.io which should only be a difference in DNS resolution, then tests it as an embedded resource which is where most browsers get the most finicky.

Okay. First series of pictures is all on Silk Browser.

Top right on dashboard is driveway stream. Rest are all not on nip.io. In Silks case using the sharp tools dashboard it does not show either nip.io or direct URLs.

Next is Fully. Again, Top right on dashboard is driveway stream. Rest are all not on nip.io.

Versions of Tablet and OS.

Chrome laptop:

That looks like a DNS issue. What happens with the traefik and sslip.io versions?

Just curious, but if Silk works for nip.io but Fully won’t on the same tablet, doesn’t that rule out a DNS issue?

Unless each browser allows you to change DNS settings which I don’t believe is the case?

@josh Just getting back to this. Did I provide everything you needed above? I don’t think it’s a DNS issue since some browsers in the same device work while others don’t, which unless there are specific DNS resolution options within each browser (and I don’t think there is), implies it’s not DNS?

I didn’t see which WebView version is being used. :point_down:

The error message ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED reads as a DNS resolution issue. That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s an issue with your internet, but it points to a DNS resolution issue in that screenshot.

Understanding what WebView version you are on and ideally updating it to as new of a version as you can would be ideal here.

I would also be curious about these results.

Hey @S_D - did you see my responses above?

• Please share the WebView version (steps above)
  • The error is a DNS resolution issue; could be something special in the webview though.
  • What were the results of testing the traefik or sslip.io versions?

I also put together a proof of concept with our own DNS resolver that effectively does the same thing as these services if you wanted to try it. It’s available at {local-ip}.st-ip.net formatted like the others.

Example: http://192-168-1-15.st-ip.net:8083/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?camera=1

Finally got back to this. Screen shot of WebView is below. Tried the st-ip.net and receive the same error that the image can not load (using Fully).

How do I upgrade the Webview?

Okay, so updated Fully to 1.53 and used an apk to update the webview, now things are actually worse as Fully doesn’t show any streams (before it would show the regular IP addresses but not the ones with nip.io or st-ip.net).

Is there anything in my Asus router settings I should check as it relates to not resolving nip.io or similar?

Right now both my tablets are useless (as I also need to figure out how to get my Harmony integrations working again…saw some threads on that but tackling this first).

Lastly, I’m using Tinycam as the webserver as it was less intensive than using BlueIris. If there is an easier way to do this using BlueIris, I can try that as well?

Hm. That’s a good question around where the resolution is failing. I was trying to piece together some of what you described earlier, but it’s not clear to me. Unfortunately, it wasn’t always clear which device + browser + network you were testing with… and it wasn’t always clear if it was a test of the URL directly in the browser or within an embedded SharpTools Media Resource.

nip.io resolution results:

• :x: Chrome on Work PC (post)
    Note: I’m not sure if you were trying to say that nip.io itself worked fine, but other x.nip.io URLs weren’t working?
  • :white_check_mark: Chrome on Home Laptop (post)
  • :x: Chrome on Non-Work (post)
  • :white_check_mark: Silk on Fire tablet (post)
    Note: Unclear if this is the newer or older tablet (or both) and with which OS/webview versions
  • :white_check_mark: iPhone Safari (post)
  • :x: iPhone Chrome (post)
    Note: Not clear what the difference was, what URLs were being tested, if the networks were the same, and which network

This is to be expected. As noted in my very first reply, the reason we were looking at the nip.io or st-ip.net workaround was for your one tablet that updated to a newer version as Chromium 111 and newer has a bug with mixed content and IP addresses.

Maybe. :person_shrugging: Can you tell us more about your DNS configuration?

It’s still not clear why it would work in Chrome on one of your home laptops, but not the other or what the differences between each test was.

It’s not clear to me what OS you are using on your non-work laptops, but if it’s Windows, you could try the following command in a terminal (command prompt):

nslookup -debug 192.168.1.31.st-ip.net

You should get something like the following (please share it):

C:\Users\josh>nslookup -debug 192.168.1.10.st-ip.net
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 1, rcode = NXDOMAIN
        header flags:  response, auth. answer, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 0,  additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
        1.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN

------------
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  192.168.1.1

------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 2, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 1,  authority records = 0,  additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
        192.168.1.10.st-ip.net, type = A, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    ->  192.168.1.10.st-ip.net
        internet address = 192.168.1.10
        ttl = 30 (30 secs)

------------
Non-authoritative answer:
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 3, rcode = NOERROR

QUESTIONS:
        192.168.1.10.st-ip.net, type = AAAA, class = IN

------------
Name:    192.168.1.10.st-ip.net
Address:  192.168.1.10

I think it should go without saying at this point, but I would need you to share those results. I can’t help without the details.

Weird. So last night I was heading up to bed, walked past my FireHD tablet, and suddenly one of the streams was coming through, the one with the st-ip.net link in it. When I woke up this morning, it no longer was working. WTH?

Here’s the results of that command on the laptop where http://192.168.1.15.st-ip.net:8083/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?camera=1 works.

Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 1, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags:  response, auth. answer, want recursion, recursion avail.

QUESTIONS:
        1.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    ->  1.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
        name = RT-AX86U-0888
        ttl = 0 (0 secs)

------------
Server:  RT-AX86U-0888
Address:  192.168.1.1

------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 2, rcode = NOERROR

QUESTIONS:
        192.168.1.31.st-ip.net, type = A, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    ->  192.168.1.31.st-ip.net
        internet address = 192.168.1.31
        ttl = 30 (30 secs)

------------
Non-authoritative answer:
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 3, rcode = SERVFAIL

QUESTIONS:
        192.168.1.31.st-ip.net, type = AAAA, class = IN

------------
Name:    192.168.1.31.st-ip.net
Address:  192.168.1.31