Custom Dashboards - Grouping and Sorting

SharpTools.io has been updated with support for custom dashboards! When you navigate to the Tiles interface, you’ll now be presented with the option to create a new dashboard where you can add tiles and rearrange them to your desired layout.

Please let me know how you like the new feature in the comments or via email!

By request, the dashboards support adding things from multiple locations making it easy to view the status of multiple locations in a single interface.

1 Like

Pretty cool. I like that you can rearrange.

Hey @josh. Can you do blank tiles? when i place a few tiles in the middle of a line and then save it they move over to the far left. be nice if they could ‘stick’ where i place them or have some blank tiles. Thanks

1 Like

Great idea. I can add blank tiles to allow the tiles to ‘stick’.

The grid design uses the ordering of the tile entities to dynamically layout the grid, so blank tiles would work well as spacers.

1 Like

Sorry to be keeping you busy!!! lol…

1 Like

It would be great if we could create rows and add label to them. See attached picture example: All my things in the movie room are under that heading and all my things in office are under that heading. Thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! We’ve been looking into implementing a row functionality - it’s a bit more complex than originally expected as there are certain features we need to consider (like moving tiles between rows with the drag and drop functionality), but it’s on the hit list!

Pretty new here, so hope this hasn’t been answered elsewhere!

Is there a way to create a “text tile” - a blank tile without an icon that you can just add your own text?

Use for such things as row or column heading,

Label tiles are included in the next upcoming beta.

In the meantime, some people use media tiles with Shields.io to create text placeholders.

For example, the following URL creates the following text (which is a scalable vector graphic):

And looks like the following when formatted in a tile:

The concept can be used more broadly to integrate data from third party JSON sources as shown in this thread:

The nice thing about it being scalable is you can resize your base tile size to whatever you want. Some people will cut their base tile size down to 1/4 the default (40px) and then quadruple the dimensions on all their other tiles to bring them back to ‘nornal’. That lets them use extra small tiles wherever they please for things like these labels.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great info! Rather than tackling Shields.io now, I’ll stand by for label tiles in the upcoming beta.

2 Likes

Label tiles were added to the latest beta. :smiley:

I don’t know what capabilities label tiles will have but I’m sure it will be a big upgrade. Here is an easy way to add icons without having to get any artwork as shown by several tiles on the left edge of this picture.

The House icon is simply a media tile with these properties.

How do you get the icons? Simply go here and lookup the Icon you want and then cut and paste it onto the end of the string.

You will have to force the tile dimensions to 1 X 1 for it to display properly. If you change the background color to the gray just below the default gray in the dialog it will look pretty uniform.

One thing to bear in mind is that the quality of the icon will vary depending on the platform. It will always be a house, but it’ll be a nicer looking house on an iPad.

3 Likes

Nice! Thanks for sharing - great idea to use emoji as icons!

1 Like

@josh emojis would be pretty nice! Funny too.
Nice @Gary_Milne

2 Likes

You can use emoji in labels of any of the tiles today (the label at the top of the tile) which means you can also use them in the new Label tiles that are in beta.

The next beta release will also have the option of using the label as the hero content for dashboard tiles. So you could use an emoji there too. :grin:

3 Likes

@josh that’s awesome. Always reading our mind!!!

Label tiles are now available in the latest SharpTools.io update. You can find more details in the following topic:

Fan Tiles, Battery Tiles, Label Tiles, and More!

1 Like

Potentially dumb question: What is a hero attribute and how/why would I use it?

Hero Attribute tiles let you display any attribute from any device. They’re particularly convenient for custom device types, for device types that we don’t have an explicit tile for, or when you want to expose a specific a specific attribute that we don’t display on a tile.

You can find more info here:

2 Likes

Is this still an option?