What tablet/device are you using for dashboards?

Those mounts look amazing…

I did see that…might have to look into costs to get imported…

The Vidabox Mounts are incredibly expensive - will cost (significantly!) more than the tablet :astonished:

On the MB mounts @Tom_Smith I believe if you just go through the process it will calculate your shipping before you commit to final purchase. I would expect it should be reasonable as shipping within US is already included.
Be sure to also check out the power options - I already have 12V available so got the 12V to 5V converter; He also has AC to 5V converter
https://mbmounts.com/collections/power/products/tablet-charging-system
Whichever you go with, even if doing your own supply, get the edge connector for the tablet - it’s really neat

amazing advice…thanks pal, really appreciate you answering my qs…

I will have more very shortly no doubt…

You are probably right @Bethel_Lane. I have only purchased them in closeout for late model Kindles. I do have a brand new Fire HD 8 and plan to order an MB Mount in-wall to see how it works. Also at the recommendation of @Justin_Leonard I got an Asus ZenTouch off eBay. It’s too big for either of the mount companies so I am making my own mount - here it is WIP.

2 Likes

Nice @simon - I considered going that route for my oversize 10" - however I contacted Mike and he did the customization for me - awesome service, he even sent an active CAD drawing for my review for final approval. And the customization fee was incredibly reasonable.

@Bethel_Lane I tried the same approach - but the Asus screen is bigger than his 3d printer so no dice. I am replacing a 15" ELO touchscreen - here is it in the wall running Allonis MyServer. The 15.6" ZenTouch will take its place running Sharptools. But I will have to fill in part of the wall because the ELO is 4x3 and the ZenTouch is 16x9.

3 Likes

Mine is a flush mount, so the Front Fascia is acrylic and therefor can be any size at all - for the backing piece, which isn’t visible at all he made in two pieces and seamed them together. (for the Asus it might need 4 LOL)
But the picture frame looks good and you obviously have your miters well-calibrated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Josh, I hope everything is going great! Im next to replace my ADT/ST panel, so Im looking for a nice (not too big) tablet, so thinking about an Amazon Family, 7" one my first look but read that its underpowered, so maybe 8", Im seeing you have cam views displayed on it, maybe you can help me, my question is if you know if Tiny Cam Pro app could run in Fire OS, because I know is for Android OS, I would like to take the tablet mainly as an alarm panel but also want to take advantage to use it as Tiny Cam server, but Fire OS support this Android App ?

Thanks again !

Most Android apps will run (I can run my Eufy Door Camera on it with no issue) - you will need to install the Google Play store.
I’ve posted this elsewhere on the site - utilize the Windows App from XDA Developers to set up your Fire - that will strip out all the extraneous bloatware as as well as the lock screen ad and let you install the Playstore directly.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/windows-tool-fire-toolbox-v14-0.3889604/
Definitely go with the 8 over the 7 - there’s actually not much difference in the overall size, but the display section is bigger - but most importantly, as you recognize the 8 is fundamentally a better device.

2 Likes

Yeah, I usually recommend at least the 8" as the 7" devices tend to be underpowered. I would also recommend getting the latest generation as they’re more powerful than the older generations.

My camera streams were running from Blue Iris on a PC that was dedicated to running the NVR software.

Yes, TinyCam runs on Fire OS devices and there are even versions available within the Amazon App Store. TinyCam works great for viewing cameras on a Fire tablet, but I personally would not recommend it as a server device (especially if you’re also viewing dashboard on it). You might be able to get away with it in the short-term and maybe just to test things and get a feel for how things work, but there are better alternatives out there.

Alexey, the TinyCam developer, mentioned that he’s had reports of Fire Tablets killing background processes - effectively killing the TinyCam server sometimes. He indicated that he runs an NVIDIA Shield TV as a TinyCam server and other SharpTools users have mentioned that they’ve had success with that too.

2 Likes

Although this might be getting into another subject area - I am using Blue Iris for this. I am using it to run a number of back end processes on a server - including recording all of the streams.

One thing I have noted is that the HD streams do not play well on the Fire Tablets running Sharptools. SD streams run fine. Not a Sharptools issue - probably more to do with the horsepower on the Fire tablets.

2 Likes

Any suggestions for iPad mini 4? I am using one in my home office as I had it. I can’t seem to find a combination that works on this unit. Also, I noticed when I run it in the emulator on chrome with the resolution that it supposedly has - 2048x1536 I don’t get the same image as on the iPad. On Chrome it fits 6 tiles across the top nicely with my settings but on the iPad it displays 5 1/2 tiles. I am using scaleable, 6 tiles, 10 px at present. Any suggestions on how to get the emulator to match the actual iPad? If it did I would be fine. Thanks.

Anyone know of a small, phone sized tablet? I want to replace my keypad on smartthings with a tablet version. I haven’t had good luck with the physical keypads since smartthings updated but sharptools always works. I don’t want a whole dashboard where my keypad goes, which is why I hope there is a very small tablet.

I have one iPod Touch in an iPort mount that I use by my garage door. I was hoping to get sharptools onto it but it didn’t work - too old. Chrome just crashes when I try to access the site. I have been looking for something this small as well.