Trigger with reoccurring announcement

Hi there! Brand new user, loving it so far! I am having a bit of a time with the rule engine.

What I want to happen is as followed: When my water sensor detects water and switches to wet, I want it to send me an sms as well as announce through my Alexa devices and repeat this every 5 minutes until the sensor returns to dry. I tried the if_else but didn’t seem to work. Any help would be appreciated. Currently it will fire one time. Also, I am by no means a computer person, so please speak slow and be gentle :rofl:

Hi @The_Fluffy_Injun, welcome to the community and glad you enjoyed Rule Engine. The “looping” feature is not currently supported in Rule Engine, but there’s a workaround using Virtual Switch though it is not the most straightforward setup. See below for the rule example that the rule can be triggered by the water sensor changes to wet or the virtual switch changes to on or off, and change the virtual switch state in the end of rule if the senor is wet so it will “loop” this rule.

However, please note that you may want to change the check period (delay) from 5 minutes to 15 minutes (900 seconds in the example) because sending multiple SMS messages with the same content within the short period can very likely trigger the carrier’s message SPAM filter and get the messages blocked for a certain period.

Let me know if this helps or if you have any questions.

1 Like

Not directly related to SharpTools but you can also handle the Alexa announcements through Echo Speaks.

Thanks! I tested it out and worked perfectly! I decided to make a separate rule for the SMS so that I can still have the Announcement set to 5 minutes. Much appreciated! I am sure I will be back soon with more question :smiley: Great product again!

2 Likes