Trigger a media tile update

With media tiles is there a method to trigger the refresh via an event or rule?

I see solutions on timers and the ability to refresh on user push on the tile, but nothing on a way to trigger the update by automation. If not, request as a feature.

Hi @Bloodtick_Jones - thanks for posting the feature request.

Can you help me better understand the use case(s) for this?

Motion sensor to capture an image. The media tile would then be updated / triggered.

Thanks! Out of curiosity, how are you capturing the image and storing it?

Longer answer here than it should be. I wrote a Fully Kiosk Browser DH some time ago that works (or worked) on the SmartThings Classic application and would display in the ‘carouselTile’. With the changes on that platform, I ported it over to Hubitat.

It is a little different than other FKB handlers - I inject JavaScript into the solution and the FKB device will become an active motion sensor, grab an image and send it back to Hubitat/SmartThings.

With Hubitat the image is actually lost, with hopes they open up the onboard file system and it could go there someday and be picked up locally into SharpTools.

byte imageBytes = parseDescriptionAsMap(response.description).body.decodeBase64()
logInfo “NOTICE: Image and screen shots do not work. Still need someplace to put the image with size: ${imageBytes.size()}”
logInfo “${device.displayName} captured image ‘${strImageName}’”
if(settings?.deviceS3url?.trim() && event.key==“getCamshot”) {
def strBase64Image = parseDescriptionAsMap(response.description).body
storeImageS3(strBase64Image)
}

BUT, if you look at the code you see I have an AWS API Gateway solution developed that loads with API keys into AWS S3 for storage and retrieval. The AWS solution is not trivial and I have not published instructions on how to do that, it is not a novice playground…

However, if you really want to make it simple. You can just hit FKB directly to pull back an image. This works today with SharpTools as such:

http://192.168.x.x:2323/?cmd=getCamshot&password=123456

You could in theory set up any motion device to trigger the SharpTools Media Tile and execute that URL for an image grab.

I saw your post over in the Hubitat community showing the new device driver you put together to accommodate this feature - nice work!