Thermostat and other items Glow

Josh - Really love the look of the new dashboard and transparent tiles! I was never a big fan of the glow until the transparency and now it’s all I use! I’m not sure if there would be enough interest in my feature request to make it worth while but I figure it can’t hurt to ask.

Glow: Is it possible to add glow to all tiles that are capable of a status change? In other words, have a glowing lock when a deadbolt is left open or a glowing windows icon for when my kid decides to leave those open as well?

Thermostat: Along the same line, It would be really cool (no phun intended) if the icons themselves could glow when heating (red around the flame) and cooling (blue around the snowflake) instead of changing the background color.

Just a thought. Overall really exciting stuff! Keep up the great work!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, Mark. I’m open to considering it if there’s enough community support behind it. :grinning:

My initial thought is that the glow effect was designed for devices that actually glow (eg. Lights). The effect is currently only applied to devices which have a Switch capability as their primary capability as it implies that they are used like a typical switch - which in most cases is to turn lights on and off. For devices that implement other more specific capabilities (locks, contacts, presence, etc) no glow effect is applied. And for devices that only implement a Switch capability, but might be used to turn something else on like a fan or kettle, the tile has the option to turn off the glow.

My suspicion is that that this would be more of a niche request - that most people would not want to make their locks glow - so I’m hesitant to add it as an option. While options are great, having too many of them can make things overwhelming and less approachable.

All that said, we use community feedback as a key driver in prioritizing, so let’s see what the rest of the community thinks. :slightly_smiling_face:

I understand completely Josh and I assumed this would be the response. I figured I’d throw it out there and see how many other users shared the same thoughts. No worries. Still think this is the best dashboard out there. Look forward to the future updates.

1 Like