Temporarily removing devices from HE↔Sharptools Integration

So my HE performance is up the roof. Main culprit according to the device log on thee hub is the multitude of Sonos devices. HE nascent dashboards were causing a lot of events / traffic in the background. Once removed, performance improved for a short while but still extremely high.
I’d like to perform a test by removing them from the SharpTools integration temporarily without having to delete my dashboard. The logic being that after the test I would be able to add them but am encountering undesirable behavior back to the integration and since they kept their device IDs, they will link back to the original dashboard tiles vs. having to recreate that dashboard from scratch.

However I am encountering unexpected behavior on both sides of the integration:

1. I removed the devices from the Sharptools App on HE and even though they are now not shared according to the app, each device shows a connected dependency to the SharpTools App which cannot be severed?

2. On SharpTools.io, in Manage Accounts, I logged into the HE integration, selected my home and in the list of devices received from HE, unchecked all the sonos devices and saved. SharpTools went through it’s synchronization and shows at the end those devices as unchecked. However, when looking at the integration properties, they are still showing there as fully connected.

This does not seem like the desired behavior and is a potential security risk when a user wants to severe connectivity of specific devices. I may be missing something but it seems like a simple workflow that should have worked - How does one successfully disconnect individual devices from the integration on either side (or both)?

Can you share screenshots of what you are seeing?

After proceeding through the authorization a second time (starting from your SharpTools.io User Page > Manage Connections) and unchecking devices then tapping ‘Authorize’, the devices should get removed from the SharpTools ‘app’ in Hubitat and automatically removed from your SharpTools account as well.

Edit: Note that after clicking ‘Authorize’, you’re taken back to SharpTools where you see the progress bar. The progress bar indicates that the device synchronization is still in progress, so you have to wait for that to complete before the devices are removed from both sides.

1 Like

Alas, I followed the flow you are describing several times… Unfortunately I can’t share screenshots any longer due to the description below (I am kicking myself for not having taken those as I almost always do) - I also attempted this flow a couple more times from an Incognito window to rule out any cache issues and same results. Both on the HE app and on the SharpTools dashboard the link was alive and kicking. It may be reproducible - I will try again later tonight.

I ended up removing the SharpTools app from HE, verifying that the Sonos devices didn’t show SharpTools as one of their dependencies, then I reinstalled the app setting it up without exposing the Sonos devices and then redid the SharpTools account settings linking and synchronizing - this seemed to work. My media dashboard is now a collection of blank placeholders.

Question: Did these become generic placeholders or do they still carry the original tiles metadata that once exposed through the integration will regenerate them?

If this proves out to be the main cause of the performance issue, I would post on my other thread as the log counters suggest millions of events per device per 12 hours which is unreasonable given that they are largely not in use and should not be this chatty. I am making an assumption that this is mainly a Hubitat issue given it was the same with their native dashboards but nonetheless, may need to look at how you are subscribing to events and the ability to perhaps implement a more granular level of user-selected events to subscribe to (Advanced feature) or something alike as I am sure there are many ways to optimize the chattiness between both environments on any kind of device generated events.
Thanks!

Yes, the tiles still carry their original configuration. They’re tied to the unique device ID / location ID. When SharpTools loses access to that particular device, the tiles get replaced with placeholders. When the device is reauthorized, then the tiles rehydrate.

So if the Sonos devices get removed completely from your Hubitat hub and get readded with a different device ID, then the tiles will not rehydrate as they are different devices. If the existing device is just temporarily removed from SharpTools authorization and later reauthorized, it will get rehydrated.

2 Likes

Thanks. Saves a lot of headache. Now to troubleshoot the load Sonos creates on the hub which is attributed to Hubitat’s closed integration.

Thanks again @josh

1 Like