Super Tile animation on click

Is it possible to make a Super Tile blink or otherwise acknowledge a click? What I’m after is a way to know if a Super Tile I’m using for a garage door has been clicked.

I’m using a Zooz Zen17 relay to operate the doors. I don’t think I can create a way to show “OPENING” or “CLOSING”, (I only have “OPEN” and “CLOSED”) which is fine, but I would like a way to determine if the Tile is actually clicked. There is a short delay between clicking the Tile and the status changing to “OPEN” or “CLOSED” as the door needs to travel 6 inches to change the “CLOSED” status to “OPEN” and needs to be completely closed to show “CLOSED”.

Thoughts???

1 Like

I think this may be a bug that was introduced with the move to the modern build pipeline — in my experience there was indeed a subtle animation to indicate when a button had been pushed (super tile or otherwise), but that’s recently disappeared across the board. Hoping it will be resolved soon :pray:

Even the green pop up message command sent would be helpful in this case but That doesn’t happen either.

I have my ZEN17 controlling my gate and connected to Hubitat. Zooz provides a small app and driver to create a virtual garage door (pairing the ZEN17 with a Contact Sensor of your choice) so you get the opening and closing states as well and the device itself acts more like a garage door.

It’s resolved in beta and will make its way production with a future update. Note that Super Tiles are a bit different than other tiles in that they show the waves animation when tapped anywhere on the tile even though you might have only configured a small portion of the tile to be clickable.

The Super Tile shows it for rules and macros… probably makes sense to add it for regular thing commands too. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Awesome. You guys rock!

Does this mean I would not be able to use the S1 and S2 ports on the Zen17 as my contact sensor? That works well currently with a wired sensor…

I guess since Groovy is gone, this is only an option for Hubitat, not ST…

I read through the install instructions on the Zooz site.

I happened to have a Z-wave Contact Sensor, so I used that for my setup. I’m sure using the wired inputs would work as well for the Groovy SmartApp version as long as each element was exposed as their own child device. (Mine is technically a ZEN16 - the ZEN17 has some added features for monitoring open/close state separately from the relay control)

As you alluded to this is different in the SmartThings post-Groovy world (see below).

I’m not sure what their approach for the SmartThings Edge environment would be. In your case since you have the contact sensor input and the relay control all under a single device, they could write a driver that has the device act like a proper Garage Door device within SmartThings.

From what I gather, they’ve been working with one of the community developers to release drivers, so you might reach out to Zooz support to see what options you have (or try the driver from the community thread and post there with questions). My experience with Zooz’s support team has generally been pretty good.

There’s also some discussion in that thread around creating a Virtual Garage device in the SmartThings platform for people like me who have a separate Contact Sensor in addition to using the ZEN16/ZEN17 for relay control. Again, I’m not sure if the ZEN17 driver supports this natively for your case where everything is all connected to the same device and this virtual device would then be unnecessary.

1 Like

Yup… I used the driver created by him. The work around I went with is a super tile to operate the door, show the status, and has a variable that changes to “Door Moving” for 10 seconds after the Zen17 is triggered. That “should” keep my impatient wife from clicking on the super tile multiple times thinking nothing is happening!

I do it with a variable as well. The device that operates the door is a generic Zigbee contact, I have 2 Frient door sensors installed on the door rails.

Then a rule that whenever one of the sensors opens, the variable is set to “moving”, it stays that way for the amount of time it normally takes the door to open/close, or changes when the other door sensor sets the variable to “open” or “closed”. Works pretty well, as long as the sensors detect. But when they don’t detect for a little longer than the normal operation of the door, I set the variable to “fault”.

1 Like

The fix was pushed to production today. :slight_smile:

Awesome! Should my “existing” Supertiles work, or just new going forward?

Existing ones should have the waves effect again. It was there prior to the Modern Build Pipeline release where a bug was introduced that prevented the waves effect. (Make sure to refresh your browser to pull in the latest changes)

The caveat mentioned above applies:

1 Like

This has just ruined SharpTools for anyone who creates custom graphics for there super tiles with translucent backgrounds or who offset there icons inside super tiles or who base all there super tiles on translucent backgrounds, as soon as you click your tile it now highlights the efforts you have gone to improve your dashboard, whats wrong with people using click sound in fully Kiosk or on your tablet to confirm key presses

I actually prefer the wave effect. It allows my disabled mom to get a visual confirmation that she touched the button instead of tapping it multiple times. I guess each person has their own use cases and needs. Thanks for fixing this!

Yes I guess if you have hearing impairments then the click options would not be suitable

1 Like

Feels a bit “sky is falling” considering the effect was always there. I’m not even sure how this ruins any of those cases but you could try custom css with this to hide it

.waves-ripple { display: none }

Or remove it just from super tiles

.super-tile .waves-ripple { display: none }

Great thanks, it could possible just be my set-up as the last 3 weeks or possibly longer while I created the super tiles the effect was not there, in all honesty it only does it on super tiles, so hopefully this will remove it, thanks again