SmartThings Linked Places

Hi everyone.

I use ST and I had setup linked places. Not used this feature before but thought for example be good to turn the heating on when ive just left the area my sons nursery is located. Or when my Mrs leaves work for example. It seems to use this feature you need to be using a Galaxy phone and we are all iPhones. Is there a way to do something similar in Sharp Tools?

1 Like

I had not heard of ā€œLinked Placesā€ before. Even a quick Google search pulled up a bunch of irrelevant information, but sifting through the noise it seems like SmartThings ā€˜Linked Placesā€™ are kind of like ā€˜placesā€™ (zones) in Life360.

I donā€™t personally use Life360, but I believe a number of community members use it and enjoy it. Since Life360 can be connected to SmartThings, I wonder if Life360 circles could be used as triggers for you?

Edit: it looks like thereā€™s a community developed Life360 integration that is popular, but from a quick review, I donā€™t think it exposes multiple places ā€“ I think you have to select a single place to trigger present / not present events. Maybe someone else who uses it can speak to how it works and if you can create multiple instances for multiple ā€˜placesā€™.

Also to clarify, everything I found seemed to indicate ā€˜Linked Placesā€™ are only precise to a general geolocation similar to Life360ā€¦ not down to an individual room.

1 Like

Thanks mate. Just taken a look at 360 and while it looks to be quite good, I dont like the ability for people in the 360 group to see where i am at all times. Not that i have anything to hide but just dont want my locations to be visible to everyone. The ST locations would be perfect if i didnā€™t have to have a Samsung phone.

1 Like

Hi my friend. I have seen Linked Places option in ST App, but mostly sure its about other Geofence points, then its most about save places as work, school, realtives homes, including 150- meters to 30 Km radius to record arrives and leaves. Not about sharp location as a specific room in your home.

1 Like

Life 360 works very well but if you donā€™t want that maybe try a presence sensor.

I think Iā€™ve also seen some chatter on the Hubitat forum about another GEO app for IOS.

1 Like