Sharptools rules vs SmartThings routines

Hi there!

Are SHarptools rules effectively a superset of native SmartThings routines? Any reason to use the latter? Thanks!

Matt

1 Like

Here is an example routine I have in smart things. I have a few of these. Basically changing modes when sunset happens etc. would these be better moved to rules on sharp tools? Just trying to figure out which to use when.

I’m new to the platform and just getting setup now!

Matt

Hi @Matt_B, welcome to the community. SharpTools Rule Engine is different from the SmartThings Routine. People may create routines for the simple automation needs, but you can create more complex rules with Rule Engine. You can define multiple triggers for a rule, so it can be kicked off when any of the trigger conditions is matched. You can also add rule to the dashboard if you want to run several actions with one tap (like scene but you can add conditions in rules). You can also do more with rule like kicking off IFTTT applet using rule HTTP actions, or automate devices across different SmartThings locations or different platforms.

2 Likes

@James thank you sir!

Matt

Hi my friend, I think main (and maybe the only) reason to make routines in Smartthings app is internet connection, In ST you can get local working (local devices and future Edge drivers), while Sharptools need internet connection, In my case Im letting only Security Routines in ST App and the others in Sharptools, mainly those ones with more complexity, or that use special features Sharptools offer, like http routines to announce Alexa something, or send to Pushover messages…

1 Like