Sharp tools Not in sync with devices from homey and home assistant

Hello. I’m using sharptools on an iPad using a kiosker app. I am currently using Homey pro and have used it with sharptools for a year. I did have a few problems with the status sync on virtual sensors a made using a fibaro smart implant with a physical switch to determine open/closed for my garage door. This did not work well with the sharp tools tile. It was not reliable enough. I figured out that sharp tools worked well enough for simple tiles like light switches and to set scenes for different scenario situations.

Recently i started to migrate to Home assistant to get better control of my devices. I made an ESP32 module to improve the garage control. The device is very simple. An output for opening the garage, and an input to let me know the status.
I started making a dashboard for the garage and started testing it. I still have the same issues like I had on the homey.
Issue with the momentary switch. Instead of working as a momentary switch, it toggles the switch and looses its functionality.

Is this a common issue? Its like as if the sharptools doesn’t synchronize properly. I also had the same issue with my window blinds.

Hi Ulrik - thanks for posting and sorry to hear that things aren’t working as expected.

Homey

For Homey, I had seen scattered reports where community members mentioned that a handful of devices would stop reporting events and restarting the SharpTools Homey app would fix it.

After a bit of investigating, we believe this may be related to device apps + drivers getting updated and breaking the event listeners. We’ve pushed out Homey TEST app version 1.1.x which is intended to resolve this:

https://homey.app/a/io.sharptools/test/

Home Assistant / Momentary Switches

I haven’t seen similar reports for Home Assistant. That being said, I noticed that you mentioned “Momentary Switch”.

Note that the standard Switch Tile for SharpTools uses optimistic switching: when you tap the tile, it immediately sends the on() command and the status immediately changes to on – if the status doesn’t update to the expected state within a few seconds, a warning triangle is displayed in the bottom-left corner of the tile.

While this would work fine for a switch that turns on for a few seconds before turning off, it does not work well for a switch that only briefly turns on.

Momentary Tile layout

The Momentary Tile layout is a better fit for that type of device as it just sends the push() command without optimistically recording the state. Your device would need to report the Momentary capability for this layout to be available.

Hero Attribute / Super Tile

Alternatively, I would recommend taking a look at the Hero Attribute Tile layout or even putting together a Super Tile.

The Hero Attribute tile can be configured to display the Switch status and has implicit functionality for sending the toggle() command with switch devices. It does not use optimistic switching, so it can be a good fit if you want to display the state.

Alternatively, a Super Tile gives you full control over what content is displayed on the tile and what actions are taken – it’s a good fit for when you want full control over the layout and actions or want to mix-and-match data (potentially even from multiple devices or variables).