SetCoolingPoint by minus

I feel silly asking this as I’m sure there’s something basic I’m missing.

I noticed my family saying to Alexa multiple times per day during certain periods, “turn downstairs down” and Alexa will basically lower the current SetCoolingPoint by -2 on our thermostat.

So, I figured I could easily automate that by subtracting 2 from the current cooling point and add to a remote to allow a push of a button controlling it.

Maybe it’s a brain freeze, but I can’t seem to find the current cooling point to do the math to reduce it by some number.

Is this something simple thing I’m missing?

Edit: I’m using SmartThings and am trying to move a thermostat cooling point by -2

What attributes is your device reporting?

Most modern Thermostat implementations on SmartThings separately implement the heating and cooling functions:

• Thermostat Cooling Setpoint
    coolingSetpoint
    setCoolingSetpoint(value)

• Thermostat Heating Setpoint
    heatingSetpoint
    setHeatingSetpoint(value)

I can put in a value for SetCoolingPoint but perhaps my issue is that I can’t retrieve the current Cooling Point. I was trying to utilize SetCoolingPoint with math:

IF button presses
SetCoolingPoint to CoolingPoint - 2

However, when I try to grab the current cooling point, it’s not an option:

Interesting. Have you looked at the device details directly from your SharpTools User Page > Location > Thing and does it show the attribute there?

Didn’t think about that, the cooling setpoint value is listed there. Doesn’t that mean it should be accessible via the screenshot above?

1 Like

Is $AaaTemp a text variable? If so, the list of variable is being filtered to text attributes.

You could create a numeric variable and when you go to set that variable, it should filter to numeric attributes.

And thats it…I knew I was doing something incredibly stupid!

Thanks!

1 Like