Set door codes for specific times and multiple locks at once

Hi,

I am very new to this but have been using SmartThings for a while.
I am wondering if there is an option to send new door codes to multiple locks but not based on a trigger/event but based on my action in which I decide which locks, what code and what name.

Thanks

Where would you take the action?

Ideally from a tile. Where I select the locks that I would like to send the code to.
I am currently using LUM from RBOY for this but since the new platform is changing I am wondering if I can achieve similar functionality with the Sharptools tiles?
Thanks,
Bas

Sounds like you could do it with variables on a dashboard plus some rules. I dont know what all LUM does though.

What I would need is the ability to activate the same unlock code for multiple locks for a specific duration.
I am just not sure where to start with even adding the code for an unspecific duration for one or multiple locks.
Any ideas/tips on how to start that would be great!

I think that’s a good approach - start with the basics and build up from there. :slight_smile:

I would probably start with just controlling the code on a single lock. To be perfectly transparent, you’re jumping into some of the more intermediate-advanced features by using variables and connecting them with dashboards, etc.

I played with a really primitive version of this when someone else had asked the question a few months back:

In that dashboard, I have:

• Label Tile (Lock Code Manager)
  • Variable Tile ($LockCode → Tap to enter Lock Code)
  • Rule Tile (Save)

The overall concept was I created a variable named $LockCode, then added that to the dashboard. Rather than just have the rule automatically run when the value of the $LockCode variable was changed, I created a rule with no triggers and a command to set the lock code. Then I added that rule to the dashboard so anytime that rule tile was tapped, it would run the rule.

In the rule, the main thing was a Device Command that set the lock code (slot 2, always named “Custom User Code”, but with the code being dynamically set from the $LockCode variable). I don’t have a copy of that rule anymore, but I suspect it looked something like the following:

The last 3 actions in that rule are just to have some visual feedback on the dashboard. That way I could briefly see a message that the code was saved and then it would reset to blank.

The commands tend to be documented in the SmartThings Capabilities documentation.

As a side note, the LUM app from RBoy is a powerful app with a number of features. You’re not going to get a ‘plug and play’ version of that here as rather than being provided with a purpose-built app, you’re given a set of tools with the Rule Engine from which you can build whatever logic you desire. Have you reached out to RBoy about their transition plans for LUM?

1 Like

As an aside, that capability within setCode is not currently working in the Z-Wave Edge driver. This is a known issue some of us have been trying to get resolved for quite some time.

As a workaround, instead of using the setCode(codeSlot, codePIN, codeName) capability you can use nameSlot(codeSlot, codeName) after setting the code to establish the name.

1 Like

This great! I am going to give this a try! Thanks for your support.

Did you ever get this working?

Is the Z-Wave edge driver working yet for setCode

My vacation rental locks all stopped this week and I figured I could create a fix using Sharptools and Zapier to get my SmartThings locks working and in sync with our calendar.

What a pain. For years it’s just worked like butter.

A mess.

Yes…it’s going to work. Just tested things and bingo. I should be able to automate this all with an ical link, zapier and sharptools

I’ll update this when I get it done. RLA has been great but just can’t wait for them to get it all updated.

2 Likes

As you’ve already noted, SmartThings very recently resolved the issue with the setCode command. I meant to do a follow-up to tie up that loose end for anybody following this thread.

1 Like

It took me awhile to realize that setCode will not work if the slot is already populated. I added deleteCode to my rule before running setCode.

1 Like

I know this is an old thread, but I just ran across Zapier the other day, and wondered how it works. Can you use it to control devices? Does it connect to SharpTools and your devices? Thanks.