Rule no longer running with virtual trigger from SmartThings

i have a bunch of holiday rules that control that color, level, and switch of two outdoor RGB LED’s. One of the LED failed a few months ago and the Red just failed on the second LED. I replaced them with new RGB LED’s this morning and have been changing the name of the “device” from the old name to the new name in the SharpTools App. The problem is that the rule doesn’t seem to want to run. i tried a few things but couldn’t get the rule to run. I wrote a simple time based trigger to make sure the connection between SmartThings and SharpTools was ok and that worked fine. I them wrote a simple trigger based rule using a virtual trigger from SmartThings that would turn on one of the LED. I then tried that and the Original rule started to work. If i disable the simple rule that i wrote the originals stop working. There is a rule for each of the major holidays and they all seem to work so long as the simple little test rule i wrote it also running. Not sure what to make of it. Help please. Thank you

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting!

Would you mind sharing a screenshot of the main rule that isn’t working as well as one of the simple test rule that seems to get things running?

This is the Rule that has to be enabled

And this is the holiday rule that only works when the simple rule is enables

in each of the holiday rules i changed the “Front Door Light OLD” and “Side Door Light OLD” to “Front Door Light” and “Side Door Light”

Since the ‘Outside Lights Morning - switch’ seems to be a shared trigger between the two rules, I’m wondering if something with the triggers on the original rule didn’t get setup as expected.

To test this, you could:

1. Disable your test rule
  2. Remove the ‘Outside Lights Morning’ triggers from your main rule and Save
  3. Reopen the main rule and re-add the ‘Outside Lights Morning’ trigger and Save

Once that’s done, try testing the rule again.

Edit: In case you’re curious as to my thinking behind this… Rule triggers setup event subscriptions, so it almost sounds like the event subscription didn’t get setup on the main rule (or somehow got removed during the edit). In that case, adding the separate test rule is setting up the subscription which would explain why both rules run. And disabling or removing that test rule removes the subscription again (since the system doesn’t realize the main rule should have that subscription). So if we remove the trigger from the main rule and save, then readd it to the main rule and save, it forces the main rule to set that subscription up again.

it seems to have fixed the issue of the rule running or not but something must have corrupted the rules i have. there is a lot of things happening that are not part of the rule routine. I might have to rewrite the holiday rules.

something continues to turn the lights on. I cant seem to find it. Its like the rule is stuck in a loop. not sure what to make of it

there are no automaitons in SmartThings that control the lights in question and the only IFTTT applets i have control the times of year virtual bits for the holidays. The only control for the LED’s is the Rules in SharpTools.

If you want to message support with device IDs and approximate times (and timezone), I would be happy to pull server logs and take a closer look for you.

The rules are only capable of executing device commands based on the content within the rules. That being said we’ve seen in the past where users have found other rules, routines, or things like IFTTT that react to their devices being controlled as you alluded to.

Great How do i PM support

Send an email to support@sharptools.io :slight_smile: