Notification/Ticker bar?

A notification or ticker bar at the top or bottom of the dashboard would be cool for displaying important notifications that pop up from time to time. For example, it could be a red horizontal bar that pops down from the top of the dashboard when there is something to display, like a tornado warning, or heavy traffic on your commute. Notifications done that way would catch your eye when they occur, but not take up screen real estate otherwise. I don’t know which would be better, to push the existing content down and squish the display vertically to make room for the notification bar, or to layer the notification bar on top. Probably the latter. Or, if layering isn’t possible, even just have an option to define a static thin horizontal bar space at the top and/or bottom of your dashboard, which would hide (with nothing there) when nothing to show.

I suspect implementation could be difficult, but just an idea.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion!

I’ve been personally interested in the idea of being able to send a ‘notification’ to a device that’s displaying a dashboard (without requiring a separate app like Pushbullet or Pushover). I had not considered the use case of a small, but persistent notification though.

We’ve noted the request and will leave the topic open to gather further community interest and feedback.

1 Like

Yeah, for my wall mounted dashboard I would think a more persistent notification would be useful. It’s (going to be) right beside the door to the garage so I would see the notification at whatever time I end up leaving in the morning. Since the departure time varies within a window of maybe 5-10 minutes, the persistence of the notification would ensure it is seen within that window.

I have created tiles for Trash Days and other reminders… I would prefer a notifications box so wife knows when its done!

Thanks for the feedback and welcome to the community, @Matt_Harring! Would you mind clarifying what you mean by a “notifications box”?

In the meantime, one approach that might work is to use a Text Variable, which can be added as a tile to your dashboard, for sharing messages:

2 posts were split to a new topic: Task List / Check List

I definitely would love to see the ability to push a message to all dashboards - individual rooms would be great too, but a simple popup would be a nice feature.

I’ve gone ahead and converted this topic into a Feature Request and have moved a few of the comments into their own thread as they seemed to be asking for a slightly different feature.

Be sure to scroll up to the top and cast your vote on the feature request.