Nest Cam and Nest Hello Experimental Support

Hi Carlos! Yes, I was able to get it to work, but it requires sharing the feed publicly to do so, and as such, I only show outdoor cams in the dashboard. It functions well, but I would prefer to have the stream password protected before I expose door cameras that show people coming and going. I would be happy to discuss with you.

2 Likes

Ohh…thats a cool dashboard my friend. I just finished to solve most of the issues, lessons:

1. Moving a router o repeater a little bit, could affect Wyze cam connection stability. I just moved a week ago my TP-Link router to the backside of the TV shelf, with other hubs (a new router, Philips Hue, Smartthings hub, etc), just one meter of difference. Today, I detected in Wyze App, that kbs indicator was degraded, got 0kbs by 4-5 seconds randomly, when Tiny Cam Pro was connected both connections (Wyze and Tiny Cam) got a degraded performance, Tiny Cam Pro crashes randomly, or Wyze Cam app was frozen by 10-15 seconds.

2. I do not know why TP-Link router gave this lattence if it was ubicated just one meter ago from its original place, for regular connections there was no problem at all (mobiles, laptops, TV, etc) but Wyze Cam connection was affected, maybe because any electric/magnetic interference by other hubs or cables or inside wall steel structures? I took it back to its old place in the shelf and got back a good Wyze Cam function.

3. To let Tiny Cam Pro works, WiFi connection of the cam and TinyCam Pro server has to be really strong, no matter high speed, but good quality and strong attachment. Once I return the router to its old place, I had no get any crashes and Wyze Streaming in the Wyze App it is not excellent but good enough.

4. Your experience gave me the confidence about Nest Cam is a good solution. I would like try it out for my outdoor cam, I do not really worry about no password (since is for the outdoors). Then I will have 1 Wyze indoor cam and 1 outdoor Nest Cam. I will try it next week.

Which is the model that are you using for outdoor ?

THANKS A LOT MY FRIEND !..

1 Like

Thank you! For my outdoor cameras, I have a mix of the Outdoor and Outdoor IQ.

2 Likes

One other thought I had that you may be interested in if you write any of your own code: If you have a Homebridge server, there is a great plug-in that allows you to expose your Nest Cam devices into your Apple Homekit environment. It works beautifully, doorbell rings, pops up on Apple TV. If you can figure out how to tap that fully authenticated video stream, you could use that for your Nest feed into the dashboard without having to have a publicly shared stream in the wild. I haven’t had the time to dive into doing so for my set up yet.

1 Like

Hi my friend. I think I will try with Nest Cam, can you confirm if is this one of the rights models ?. I had read that the share link is only possible in Nest App, but not all Nest cameras could be added in Nest App…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194923031947?epid=28029958270&hash=item2d62516d8b:g:cDUAAOSwZK1ePBGm

1 Like

Good Morning Carlos! That is one of the cameras I use successfully with this integration. It should work well.

1 Like

Excellent !..I will go for it. Just another question my friend. Is there any issue or problem for the access to its stream from LTE telephone network or other WiFi networks?

For Wyze Cam+TinyCam Pro external access to the stream, has to be a “port forward” setting that is giving me headaches to set it up !..I had read that Nest App just create a public link that could be accessed from any internet connection? Is that right ? I would like to use the dashboard and its Nest Cam live stream when I am not in my home…

No issue whatsoever. Nest is a cloud based service so you accessing the stream remotely is just streaming it to your device wherever you are so no need for any port forwarding.

1 Like

Any word on this supporting newer google/nest cameras that are only available in Google Home? Thanks

I’ll let @josh answer on that one. I really don’t know what the future holds for the Google SDM API integration and ability to pass video streams to SharpTools.

We don’t have any plans at the moment. This experimental/labs feature requires the Share Publicly feature from Nest cameras to work.

If you end up finding a solution that works well for you, please share. I’m sure the community would be interested in hearing about it! :grinning:

Has anyone played with this project? Sounds like it can get a stable RTSP stream for Nest cameras.

This would be awesome but is a bit beyond my skillset.

I just found out that Google is scraping the public stream feature. It is only available for products that are managed through the Nest app. However, that is being migrated over to the Google Home app and devices there cannot share their public stream. Newer devices like the 2nd Gen Wired Nest Cam are already not supported. Very frustrating since I just bought a whole set of Nest Cams based on this feature. Now it seems not to be working.

Is there any workaround?

Seems like Google is really crippling things. I found the Nest RTSP project above when researching how people are pulling the cameras into Blue Iris and Frigate since Google broke the old approach. I just searched the same thing for TinyCam which is popular here and it has the same issue.

Does the new home.google.com web portal show the streams? Google blocks embedding a lot of their pages, but maybe you could at least link out to it?

Yes, it shows the stream but that is not very user friendly. I am building a dashboard for someone less tech savvy and they should not have to switch between sites or multiple apps. That is the whole point of having a dashboard, right?

I get the frustration. Seems like Google is really crippling things. When video apps like TinyCam, Blue Iris, and Frigate that are dedicated to streaming video can’t stream Nest cameras anymore you know Google has really screwed things up. I’d say share the feedback with Google but I doubt that will do much. If you’re still in your return period you could speak with your wallet and buy a different product.

1 Like

Thanks, @Chris_C . That is what I was thinking. The question is which one… Looks like there are not many outdoor cameras that offer a direct stream.

This is the reason I didn’t go for a camera brand that only offers their proprietary apps and software to run.
I got a cheap second hand office pc, run blue iris on it and Dahua camera’s. They have a price range for anyone and with blue iris you can setup whatever features you want, or still use the camera’s app at the same time.