Need Help reading "closing"

We have two garage doors and two cars. So I want to have a way to know which car left in order to use Tasker to open the correct door upon return. I have GoControl garage door openers. What I want to do is to have my phone use Tasker and SharpTools to monitor my garage door. I have set up a SmartThings simulated presence sensor for my vehicle. So if my garage door is “closing”, then it will know it is my vehicle that is leaving - and I want it to set a variable in Tasker and the SmartThings simulated presence sensor to show not present. I thought I understood how to do this, but it is not working. I have it set so that when Tasker plugin sees a Thing named Mike’s Garage Door have %st_attr_value equal to closing, it sets the variable to not present. Then after 2 minutes if my phone has not left my wifi connection it sets it back to present. (That is because maybe I just raised the garage door to get out some tools, but am not going anywhere.)

This is not working. Can someone steer me in the correct direction. or give me some details on how to set this up?

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community, @Michael_Ernst!

What variable are you setting to not present? Note that Tasker variables have to have CAPITAL names to be global variables… otherwise they are considered local variables and are only available within the execution of the profile.

Can you provide a description export of your Tasker profile? Or at least some screenshots of what you have configured?

Note: If you are using the Thing State event plugin, you’ll need to manually subscribe to the relevant attribute on the Thing in order to get the events wired up. If you haven’t already, you can do this by opening the main SharpTools Android app, long-pressing on the desired thing, and then selecting ‘Subscribe to door’ (or whatever your attribute is).

Josh,

My variable name is %RAM.

That being said I think I just inadvertently discovered the problem. If I close the garage door with the GoControl door opener (via SmartThings) it shows closing while closing, and then changes to closed. However, if I close the door with the garage door opener remote which I would do when I was leaving - it never shows closing. It just switches from open to closed. So I guess I need some different logic to accomplish the goal. Do you agree or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Mike

Josh,

here is the export, even though as I stated in my other message I thinkI need a different approach.

Profile: RAM Variable Set (38)
Restore: no
Event: Thing State [ Configuration:Thing: Mike’s Garage Door
Attribute: %st_attr_value

Triggered when an attribute matching the filters changes.

IMPORTANT: Be sure to manually subscribe to the desired attribute in the main SharpTools app by long-pressing on the desired thing. ]
Enter: Anon (39)
A1: Variable Set [ Name:%RAM To:not present Recurse Variables:Off Do Maths:Off Append:Off Max Rounding Digits:3 ] If [ %st_attr_value ~ *,closing,* ]
A2: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:0 Minutes:2 Hours:0 Days:0 ] 
A3: Variable Set [ Name:%RAM To:present Recurse Variables:Off Do Maths:Off Append:Off Max Rounding Digits:3 ] If [ %PACTIVE ~ *,Home WiFi Connected,* ]

Yeah, if the device isn’t always reporting closing, then I would agree that you likely need some different logic. :smiley:

Is there a reason you can’t use closed instead of closing?

You may have already looked at this… I have GoControl openers for both my wife and my garage doors. I tried to self-code the person-specific logic you are pursuing (I admittedly don’t have your coding talent). After a lot of trial and error…and frustration, I found the RBOY Garage Door Open and Close SmartApp. There are features in this app that I never would have been able to code myself. There is a license fee to use their apps; but I have implemented several of them and consider it well worth the fee.

1 Like