Multifactor authentication

Hi Sharptools team.

I think In 2020 multifactor authentication sould be a standard… if anyone gets into any account they can simply disarm my home/ office / business…

Would it be a feature that will be added down the road?? At least for the pro plan ?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for posting, @Kal_Unga! You can use a Google account to login to SharpTools and leverage the multifactor options that are available with a Google account.

I’ve noted the request around Multifactor Authentication (MFA/2FA) for our other login types as well. User feedback is a key part of our prioritization process, so I’ll leave this thread open so other users can provide their feedback and comment with their interest.

Good point regarding using Google account. I will definitely use that then. But will my legacy email account authentication be deactivated then ? Can I switch it over to Gmail and still have my dashboards ?

If you ‘link’ a Google account to your existing SharpTools account from your SharpTools User Page while you already have an email/password, it will leave both login methods on your account.

If you try a fresh login to SharpTools.io with a Google account that exactly matches an existing email/password account, it will replace the existing email login leaving just the Google login (along with all your dashboards in place).

Kind of hard to believe a real MFA solution is still not available for an app like this. Google does not seem to work for auth on all devices forcing you to create a email/pw. People use something like this to control their homes/businesses. MFA is almost a minimum requirement for anything like this.

Unfortunately, this particular feature request hasn’t picked up much interest from the community so we’ve prioritized other popular requests.

Just a reminder that the standard Terms of Service prohibit using SharpTools for commercial purposes.

If you want to share more details about the type of device, there might be other approaches you can take to ensure you can use Google login.

Another approach would be to create a secondary ‘guest’ account and share just the dashboards you are interested in with that account. Then you could add PIN protection to the dashboards as an additional layer of protection.