Hyperlinks and modal?

Hi,

is it possible to set modal window location and size on screen? My purpose was to set some of the hyperlinks to open in modal mode at lower part of the portrait mode screen so that my kids can browse too. :slight_smile:

Hi @JiiPee, custom location and size of the modal window is not currently supported, but feel free to create a feature request so others can vote if interested.

My younger kid grabs his stool to check the cameras on my wall mounted tablet every time when he hears the door bell now. :laughing: Kids learn fast.

I wonder if you could use custom css?

I’m not sure if theres a way to target just one link but you could do something like this to fill up the bottom portion of the screen for all modal links

.webpage-modal {
    top: 40vh!important;
    left: 0!important;
    right: 0!important;
    height: 60vh!important;
    width: 100%!important;
}
.webpage-modal .header { margin-right: 2em; }

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool @Chris_C. Thanks for sharing.

That’s very nice and thank you but I just need it to certain shortcuts. :frowning:

I’m going to continue my topic…sort of related question… :slight_smile:

It’s obvious that some of the webpages does not support modal.

I’m looking for a solution for those hyperlinks that do not work in modal. I’m using dashboard in kiosk mode (browser full screen). Everything happens in dashboard and nobody needs to be touching browser’s native buttons (and frankly I do not want buttons to be visible). Now that I have couple of interesting hyperlinks which do not work in modal I need to open them as “same window” or “new window”.

It means that by choosing “same window” webpage does open but there is no buttons to get back to homepage which is sharptools dashboard. So user needs to disable full screen to get browser buttons back and then press “home” icon (and after that change back to full screen).
If opened in “new window” it opens a new tab and full screen is gone and…

Is there a way to somehow force certain webpage to be used as modal even though it is not supported?
…or…
Is there a way to create hyperlink/shortcut to sharptools dashboard which opens a different browser? I could then adjust size of that browser window and it would basically open as modal without anyone messing with sharptools dashboard and full screen mode.
…or…
Is there floating buttons or something like that available for windows where buttons would flow in front of everything and then pressing button X would do Y things…?
…or…

better ideas…? :slight_smile:

Out of curiosity, what webpages are they? One of the key things is the site must be HTTPS enabled.

Unfortunately, some sites expressly disallow you from embedding them in other sites - for example many Google sites can’t be embedded directly, but some of them have options of embedding special versions of their site (eg. Google Calendars).

I’ll leave it open to the community to see what other creative workarounds they might have, but that is a really neat idea. I wonder if the Fully Kiosk Developer might be interested in implementing such a feature. They already have a JavaScript interface that we have a few minor hooks into - for example, if you have the Fully JS interface enabled, we add a ‘Set as Start URL’ option to the ... menu on the dashboard list to make it easier to set your start URL.

It would be neat if Fully exposed an option in the JS interface to allow us to open a page as a modal (optionally with a specified size) - maybe something like fully.openModal(url, height, width). Perhaps you could send a note to them requesting it?

I just noticed that I haven’t answer this yet. Well Google is good example. Let’s take shoppinglist.google.com. it’s https but can’t be opened as modal. Google calendar works though.

@Chris_C I just stumbled on this thread as I am trying to get news feeds, that the site owners prevent from opening in modal, to display. I am assuming that this css code only works if the site owner allows opening in modal? Thanks.

Right. What site are you using for the news feeds? Maybe there’s some other workaround?

The usual ones. NY Times, BBC etc. anything that has world news. I am in the process of switching from Allonis MyServer so I am thinking of developing custom modal screens for things like this and serving them up from my local network as a stop gap measure

1 Like

Have you checked out the new Custom Tiles feature? I wonder if that could help.

I looked at this and set up a couple of samples - the windy and radar. I think this is a nice way to build a custom weather page with different elements. However, I think the page you are calling has to be setup to support this sort of embedding. It would be nice if we could create a list of such pages as idea generators.

Also my idea for modal access to my Allonis pages doesn’t work - they prevent loading in modal windows. What prevents a web page from doing this - is there some code in it that specifically says “don’t allow modal window”? If so, I might be able to remove that from the Allonis pages.

The most common things are probably:

1. The embedded site must be SSL enabled
  2. Sites can include headers to tell the browser to block embedding in other sites:
    • X-Frame-Options
    • Content Security Policy

If the site are directly under your control, you can SSL enable them or adjust those particular headers. Alternatively, you might be able to proxy those sites (especially if it’s a service you run) and strip or adjust the relevant headers on the fly.

Ok, I enabled SSL and have it working in Safari. Chrome doesn’t like it but I can work on that. I think it is because of the certificate but I have purchased a certificate for my domain and need to figure out how to install that. Haven’t tested on Fully yet - will do when I get home - which is what I use the most.

This is a potentially a great way to move off Allonis completely as I just point to some of the more complex screens over there and then slowly convert them.

2 Likes

I got everything working so I can serve up modal windows from my Allonis server. Very nice.

Now I am looking at formatting the content that is displayed. When I pull up the weather screen on the desktop I get this:

But when I do the same thing on my Touchscreen - running fully kiosk I get the following:

I was playing around with the css posted above but can’t seem to impact the sizing of the content in the modal window. The Allonis screens are designed at 1024x768. The ZenTouch is 1920x1080. So I am not sure why the content is displaying this way but I can control all of the html on the Allonis to make changes as needed. Ideally I would like it to center and scale the content. Thanks.