How To: SmartThings Home Monitor with Simulated Switches

Let me see if we can squeeze it in to an upcoming beta.

For a bit of background, the SHM icons are actually composite icons (composed of several icons that are scaled and transformed), so it’s not just a matter of adding them to the picker list. That being said, I think I can just create flattened versions of these icons and get them added to the picker so they can be used elsewhere. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Josh this would be awesome, thank you. I’m migrating to Sharptools from Actiontiles due too The laggy pincode actions. SharpTools works with no lag and the overall interface seems to flow faster on any tablet I have.

3 Likes

How long do you think it would be too flatten the icon images and add that in?

I don’t have an ETA, but I’ll be sure to post here when it’s available in beta. :smiley:

Sounds good. Thank you

The SHM tile icons are now available in the icon picker for use with the virtual switch approach (or really any tile for that matter). You can find these icons in the ‘Interface’ section or by searching for a relevant term like ‘security’:

:link: Security Icons and Thermostat Improvements

2 Likes

Excellent thank you for your attention to this matter.

Thanks Josh. Just what I was looking for.

Hey Josh,
I put in the new SHM icons and they show up fine in sharptools but they won’t show in my Kiosk. Any ideas?

Dave

Make sure to do a full refresh of the browser on the tablet to pull in the latest code and icons.

1 Like

Did it with Sharptools but didn’t realize you could with kiosk. Just did it and bingo. Looks sweet. Thanks Josh

Dave

1 Like

Hi my friends, now Im running a Sharptools dashboard using virtual momentary buttons created by ADT Tools 2 Smart App in Classic app that handles my ADT/ST panel, I can see them in IDE and work perfectly. When I migrate to new App can I still use them ? Or I have to forget them and try new ones ? Im worry because I understand that STHM changes its status when ADT/ST changes its, but no visceversa, ADT Tools 2 smart app helps on it, but what will it happen when I switch to the app? New App handles ADT/ST Panel ?

Hi @Carlos_Juarez, STHM is not open for 3rd party access yet, but you can create virtual switches and create automation rules to sync the STHM’s status to the old SHM and ADT/ST panel I believe.

In the new App, create automation to turn on the specific virtual momentary button (switch) created by the ADT Tools 2, which should change the ADT panel’s alarm state.

From an STHM perspective, I doubt it. SmartThings never had amazing first-party support for the ADT integration and it looks like they’re not really focusing on it or improving it anymore.

Yes. The momentary buttons will still work.

If you’ve got it working today where you have ADT changing STHM and STHM changing ADT, then you are all set. If you don’t have STHM changing ADT, then you probably need to setup a Custom Automation in the new SmartThings Mobile app for If STHM Changes, Then trigger the relevant ADT Tools button.

1 Like

Right. A tad confused because I’ve always used WebCoRE for presence to activate arm away. Which had worked very well. Now I believe that I can no longer use WebCoRE presence. So … any ideas on how I might get the STHM to automate when leaving. Is this not an option any longer using presence ?

Hi @Totally_Nuts, you can still use presence to change STHM status automatically. I’d suggest to use Life360 app and integrate it with your ST account as the presence sensor. Life360 is the most common and recommended among the ST users. Then you can add a new Automation in the ST new app - If your Life360 presence sensor is “Not Present”, then change Security mode to Armed Away.

I think what James is trying to say is that you can use the Virtual Switch approach mentioned in the first post - this creates virtual switches that you can flip on to arm or disarm STHM. Then you can use those virtual switches in any SmartThings integration that can control switches.

I haven’t personally used webcore presence sensor, but from a quick Google Search, it looks like it uses the webcore mobile app along with a custom virtual device, so I don’t see any reason why it shouldn’t keep working (for the time being).

As James noted, Life360 is a really popular solution for accurate presence reporting.

Well I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong as I’ve only just started using the new app but when I try to automate the the virtual switch to turn on with WebCoRE presence it’s not showing my presence sensors as an option. The phone presence is there but nothing else. I actually paid for each WebCoRE presence sensor on each phone as when I tried it it worked every time. Had life 360 and had some issues like constant away when home even when all settings were correct. Still at a loss of how to turn STHM on when everyone leaves.

Just to reiterate, you’ll want to go through the steps in the first post of this thread to create the virtual switches that control STHM… then in your automations (in SharpTools, WebCoRE, or any other SmartApp), you can use those virtual switches as a proxy for controlling STHM.

In other words, you don’t have to build the presence automation in the SmartThings Mobile app… just the virtual switch to STHM mapping.

Hmmm. Well I have followed the steps above and made 4 virtual switches. But it’s the presence that I’m having an issue integrating as i can’t find the presence sensors I used before in the new app. Maybe a just need to mess a bit more with the new app as ive only just started with it. It’s all new to me LOL