Google / Google Home Integrations

What is the status of SharpTools and possible Google Home integration?

Can you clarify what you mean by ā€œGoogle Home integrationā€?

Are you referring a a Google Assistant integration (voice), Google branded devices integration (eg. Nest Thermostat, Camera, etc), or devices which you have connected into your Google Home app?

I want it all :smiley:

I have Google assistant relay running at my pc. I have a lot of Nest Minis and I have a lot of devices connected to google home. I would love to see google home devices on my Sharptools panel and I would go crazy if Sharptools could some how interact with assistant relay.

Thereā€™s a lot to unpack in there. Iā€™m going to split it out into its own post since this is a 2 year old thread. :slight_smile:

Edit: Moved out of the original thread into itā€™s own post.

1 Like

SharpTools can interface with Google Assistant Relay and Cast Web API. If you have the related devices created in SmartThings, you can authorize them in SharpTools and then use them in either the dashboards or Rule Engine ā€“ a common approach being to expose the custom commands from these integrations using Variables + Rules and then interacting with those from your dashboard.

For Google Assistant (voice) integration, Iā€™d be interested in better understanding what youā€™re looking for there that isnā€™t already supported by your connected platform (eg. SmartThings / Hubitat).

Google recently announced their devices API (eg. Nest Thermostat, Camera, etc) and itā€™s still early times for that. You can express your interest in a native SharpTools integration here: Google's Nest Thermostat API's

And since weā€™ve split this topic out from the original topic, Iā€™ll mention it here that Google does not currently provide an API for the devices that you integrate into Google Home (eg. C by GE bluetooth bulbs). :frowning:

Hereā€™s first few examples that I was wondering:

• Ability to send commands from SharpTools to Google Home and trigger for example ā€œclean upā€ routine (in google home). Concerns mostly those devices that canā€™t be paired with SmartThings but are paired with Google Home.
  • Send for example ā€œitā€™s dinner timeā€ broadcast to Minis when pressing button in SharpTools dashboard.

These both are something that canā€™t be done with SmartThings if I got it right.

Have you asked around in the Cast-Web-API or Google Assistant Relay threads?

ā€“

Itā€™s been a while since I played with Cast-Web-API, but taking a look at their documentation, it looks like they support sending broadcasts:

Similarly, it looks like the Google Assistant Relay integration can do this as wellā€¦ I could have sworn they used to have a native SmartThings ā€˜deviceā€™ integration, but maybe theyā€™ve deprecated that over time. You could either use a WebCoRE piston or Virtual HTTP Switch to trigger these actions.

Unless Google opens up a native integration for third-party devices connected into Google Home at some point, weā€™re left with using workarounds or asking the device vendors to provide open APIs (or integrate natively with SmartThings).

I would ask the question in the Google Assistant Relay and Cast-Web-API threads to see what feedback they haveā€¦

It seems that I wasnā€™t thinking clearly enough yesterdayā€¦ (and the day beforeā€¦and the day befā€¦)ā€¦ :slight_smile:
Iā€™m able to create virtual devices to ST, add device to Sharptools dashboard and then broadcast by using webcore. Thatā€™s true and there is nothing additional that needs to be achieved with SharpTools.

Assistant relay nor cast web app canā€™t send commands (only broadcast) to google home so that Google could run routine. Assistant relay just broadcasts any br messages that it gets. This was probably the thing that I was looking for. Ability to send commands to Google Home from Sharptools. That is why I asked if there is thoughts of integration between SharpTools and Google. I would guess that if that could be possible then it would also mean that all devices paired with google home could be used in rule engine etc.

Hereā€™s few use cases:

• press button in sharptools dashboard and spotify starts to play music in Mini X
  • press button in sharptools and Google Home would tell me about my day and my meetings
  • press button in sharptools and I my twinkly lights would turn on
  • press button in shaptools and my roborock would start cleaning

This is great point!
ā€œUnless Google opens up a native integration for third-party devices connected into Google Home at some point, weā€™re left with using workarounds or asking the device vendors to provide open APIs (or integrate natively with SmartThings)ā€.

Smartthings has a lot of integrations with different vendors but many of them are so called ā€œnot certified integrationsā€. That means that today device works but tomorrow it might not. This is something that is not happening for example with googleā€™s integration. Everything just works after itā€™s paired.

2 Likes

Hi @josh , I hope you can help me, my question about it is too much simple ā€¦How can I open a SharpTools dashboard in kiosk mode (I have an iOS widget thats runs OK) with Google Assistant?

ā€œHey Google, open Home Dashboardā€

Sharptools Dashboard could be opened with a voice command or in a routine to be opened after a command, like ā€œHey Google, Deactivate the Alarmā€, then alarm is deactivated and after that Sharptools could be opened to show that the alarm panel is effective disarmedā€¦ for now I can command GA but after that Google Assistant keeps in the screen with no function at all, I need to close it, then tap in the Sharptools dashboard widget to open it and confirm panel statusā€¦Thanks in advance !

I am not aware of a way to show the dashboard automatically after you ask GA to run a command, but am wondering if you can setup rules to notify you when alarm status is changed. So you can be assured the alarm is changed after the command.

1 Like