Five Garage Automation Ideas for Your Smart Home

Here's five garage automations that can help automate your life and help you feel more secure! Time triggered, conditions like weather, presence based, and more.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blog.sharptools.io/five-garage-automation-ideas/

I have a button to start a rule, where the lights inside are turned off, after a few seconds the final light where I’m standing turns off.
After half a minute my sliding gate opens and the lights in the garage turn on for 5 minutes.
Finally the garage door opens.

This way I press 1 button and in the time I put my shoes and coat on, everything is open and ready to leave.

1 Like

That’s really neat - I like the delay/timing component! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Smart Garage Opener and its tilt sensor is the very first smart device I got when I started my smart home journey. Yup, I didn’t even have a smart bulb or plug at that time. I wanted to be able to know if the garage door is left open when I am away at that moment, but soon evolved to use several of the mentioned garage automation ideas in this blog, including the left open notification, doors check at the specific time at night, and alarm when opened while we are sleeping. Never wake up and realized the garage door was left open over night since then. A great peace of mind to our family.

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of automatically opening when I return home. I have Homelink in both of my vehicles and that, amazingly, is still a fantastic way to open the garage!

I integrate my automations with my security system and sensors, so my security system is used as a “presence” sensor. The garage door automatically closes 15 minutes after the alarm is set (in case we forget to close it when we drive off) and then it checks at 20 minutes after arming to verify that it is closed. If it is NOT closed, that means that there was an obstruction of some sort that kept it from closing and I’ll call a neighbor to help out.

My automations include turning on of the actual switched garage light when the door is opened, and if the alarm is armed when it is opened, it means we are arriving home and our inside lights turn on appropriately. We still have to enter a code to disarm the alarm (even though the automation could do it), but that also includes the tapping of light switches in a pre-planned order will disarm the alarm, too.

1 Like

I like reading articles like this that show practical ideas for home automation.

More of these please!

2 Likes