Fibaro FGS-223 Double Switch + SharpTools = Roller Shutter Switch (alternative for Fibaro FGR-223)

I was (and still) waiting for the Fibaro FGR-223 modules to arrive, when I figured out that I can easily use the “regular” Fibaro FGS-223 module and convert it to operate as roller shutter switch with some “protecting rules” of SharpTools.

Basically, each Q/S connection goes to the different roller shutter direction respectively (i.e Q1/S1 - go to the UP direction, Q2/S2 go to the Down direction).

One very important rule that needs to be enforced is preventing the case of pressing both directions in parallel, so roller shutter engine get contradict commands and can be damaged.

Another issue needs to be taken care off is to make sure that switch is turned OFF after the roller shutter has reached its desired ending position (up/down/middle).

For that I created the following operation/rules:

Auto Off Protection Rule
This rule makes sure that switch is set OFF by the end of any ON operation.
Rule is triggered by ON operation of each switch, operating a delay command of the amount of time it takes the roller shutter to get to its full ending position and then set its status to OFF. This automatically triggered rule protects against any switch operation, even the ones that are not operated via the SharpTools (i.e. the SmartThings app).
Commands are:

1. Delay of X seconds to let the roller shutter gets into his desired ending position
  2. Set operation direction switch OFF.

Operation Rule - Set roller shutter to full end position
Rule without trigger, to be used as “Rule Engine Tile”, for operating the roller shutter, bringing it to partial level.
Commands are:

1. Set the opposite direction switch OFF, to make sure it is not pressed simultaneously.
  2. Set operation direction switch ON.
  3. Delay of X seconds to let the roller shutter gets into his desired ending position
  4. Set operation direction switch OFF.

Operation Rule - Set roller shutter to semi end position
Rule without trigger, to be used as “Rule Engine Tile”, for operating the roller shutter.
Commands are:

1. Set the opposite direction switch OFF, to make sure it is not pressed simultaneously.
  2. Set operation direction switch ON.
  3. Delay of X seconds (half time or other value to bring it to the desired position) to let the roller shutter gets into his desired ending position
  4. Set operation direction switch OFF.

I assume that with the SharpTools variables options, I can it take it to next step, and preserve the state of the roller shutter for an advanced-tailored operation.

This implementation works perfectly for me :slight_smile:

BTW - this was done not for saving causes, actually both modules cost more or less the same, I actually lost a 2 switch module, turning it to a single roller shutter switch. As mentioned at the beginning - I did it since the roller shutter modules delivery is late and I had to prove the theory :wink:

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS POST ONLY DESCRIBES THE IMPLEMENTATION I DECIDED TO MAKE, IF YOU DECIDE TO USE IT, IT IS AT YOUR OWN RISK :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Very cool use-case and an excellent write-up. Thanks for sharing!