Feature request, access to the Nest api

Would it be possible for you to add you the plug-in Nest thermostat access. I would love to be able to have a reliable plug-in to get/set all available modes on my nest using Tasker? This is something I would definitely pay for…

Just something to think about

1 Like

Does NST Manager for SmartThings report back the modes you are interested in?

I am able to do a manual get and set of thing using sharptools however, I can not get it to react to a change using a subscription.

Profile: Nest Test (92)
Event: Thing State [ Configuration:Thing: Nest Thermostat - Hallway
Attribute: temperature

Triggered when an attribute matching the filters changes.

IMPORTANT: Be sure to manually subscribe to the desired attribute in the main SharpTools app by long-pressing on the desired thing. ]
Enter: Anon (94)
A1: AutoNotification [ Configuration:Text: %st_attr_name
%st_attr_value
%st_event_data
%st_location_id
%st_location_name
%st_thing_id
%st_thing_name
Status Bar Text Size: 16
Separator: , Timeout (Seconds):20 ]

That looks right to me. There’s a couple of things you might try just for debugging.

• Try either removing the ‘Thing’ filter from the Thing State Event plugin altogether or simplifying it to just part of the device’s name (Eg. Nest)
  • Enable Push Event Debug Notifications so you can make sure the push events are actually coming through to your phone.
    • If you don’t see the push event notifications come through for the temperature when Push Event Debug Nofications are turned on (but you do see them for other subscribed attributes) then you might try unsubscribing and resubscribing to the attribute to see if it helps.

Here’s a reference to the Thing State Event plugin article. In particular, the notes that the bottom of the page may be helpful:

Changed the thing to Nest, updates are now coming in however. There significant delay.
Example I changed the target temp at 6:48pm it was at 6:50pm. When the change was received. Is there a way deduce the delay?

Profile: Nest Test 2 (97)
Event: Thing State [ Configuration:Thing: Nest
Attribute: thermostatSetpoint

Triggered when an attribute matching the filters changes.

IMPORTANT: Be sure to manually subscribe to the desired attribute in the main SharpTools app by long-pressing on the desired thing. ]
Enter: Anon (98)
A1: AutoNotification [ Configuration:Text: Thermostat set to %st_attr_value
Status Bar Text Size: 16
Separator: , Timeout (Seconds):20 ]

The Thing State Event system uses push events so in an ideal world, it should be nearly instantaneous. That being said, there’s a number of factors when it comes to Tasker, Android, and Push Events which could impact things. :grinning:

A few questions:

• What kind of mobile device and OS version is this?
  • Did you have the phone open and unlocked during testing?
  • Did you have the Push Event Debug Notifications enabled and how quickly did they show up?
  • And have you applied the optimizations mentioned in the following help article:

Galaxy s8+ os ver. 8.0
Yes unlocked and watching the screen.
Push debugging is enable and I never see a message.
Yes, I just have it looking for Nest.

Something I did notice, if I make a change to the thermostat inside sharptools(using the tile), it updates and runs my task fairly quickly, however if I make a change using the nest app it self, it takes a while for change to be picked up by sharptools.

Thanks for the additional details. Can you confirm that you’ve applied the optimizations in the help article linked in the previous post for Tasker and SharpTools related to Android battery optimizations (eg. Doze mode)? It also links to some Samsung specific optimizations you should make and a fallback option specifically for Samsung devices.

That’s weird on not seeing the Push Event Debug Notifications but still having the actions go through in Tasker. I’ll see if I can reproduce it… in the meantime, can you double check that notifications from SharpTools didn’t somehow get disabled at the system level… you can check using the system level App Info screen (Usually via Android Settings > Apps > SharpTools > Notifications but it varies by manufacturer)

Control from SharpTools vs from any other source shouldn’t matter… which makes me want to triple check that all the optimizations mentioned in the help articles have been applied. I guess you might even call these de-optimizations… Android has become much more aggressive with battery management and if you are seeing fast receipt of the events while SharpTools is foregrounded but delayed reponses while it’s in the background, that could be an indicator of system optimizations still being in place.

Notifications were disabled for some reason, power saving mode is turned off and sharptools is added to the whitelist. I will do some further testing once I get off work.

1 Like

Still can’t get. Push notifications to run…