Facebook messenger or WhatsApp notifications

Hi

Instead of the push or sms option, I propose to introduce integration consisting in sending notifications to Messenger or WhatsApp

Last time we checked into this, the WhatsApp APIs were very restrictive. Messages initiated ‘by the business’ could only use predefined message templates that were pre-approved by the WhatsApp team.

I know it’s one company, but maybe Messenger will be less restrictive? I would like to avoid installing additional applications and pay for SMS (I live in the EU)

1 Like

Unfortunately Facebook Messenger appears to be similarly restrictive. Messages initiated ‘by the business’ can only use predefined templates. And the templates seem to be more for things like purchase confirmations, ticketing confirmations, etc.

I could see how the APIs could be really neat for those use cases or even interactive chat bots (when the messages are initiated by the user), but they seem overly restrictive for home automation where you might want multiple messages if things happen in your house and you want to customize them to your needs (eg. “Windows are left open and it’s raining”, “Water detected under the sink”)

I understand that the new API will not allow me to generate the text that would be Push sent by the smartthings application?

I want personalized notifications with sensor information, which the SmartThings app does not allow

Not as far as I’m aware.

Any of the notification options that we currently support do allow customizing the message content though (eg. Pushover, Pushbullet, Twilio SMS, Email, HTTP Action).

Edit: It looks like there is an undocumented API for sending ST Mobile App notifications. Sending you details via PM…

Is there a way to put a hyperlink for Whatsapp on the devices? I’ve tried intent:#Intent;launchFlags=0x10000000;component=com.whatsapp/com.whatsapp.MainActivity;end
for my fire tablet and it doesn’t work.