Custom Alarm panel

I’m not sure if this is possible as I came across this alarm panel online and was looking to do something similar. I created the Virtual switches for Arm Away, Arm Stay, and Disarm. I was looking to have all 3 switches on the dashboard and have the main tile change based on what switch was turned on. Is this possible via a variable rule that would change the tile to something like ready to arm when the disarm switch in on, armed away when the Away switch is on, and stay when the Arm Stay switch is on. Not sure its possible to make one tile change to 3 different things.
Thank you for any suggestions.

1 Like

Hi @Ryan_Mclellan, yes, you can achieve the similar setup using a variable and rule. See below for my “security panel” that similar to your screenshot (minus the icon at top). I have the same Virtual Switches setup as you do, which will be updated based on the STHM status. (I use SmartThings)

Here is the rule to update the variable’s value, and I add this variable as a Variable Tile above those virtual switches in my security dashboard. You can set whatever text content that makes more sense to you, like “Ready to arm” in the variable, as you need in either situation.

Let me know this helps.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response. I will give this a try and see how it works. Instead of text changing is it possible to have an icon change in the same tile as well? I’ve noticed that this is achieved similar to how a battery icon is. If the battery is good it shows one status, below a set % it shows another Icon and even lower then another.

1 Like

Text and number variable tiles don’t support the icon and state mapping at this point. But I’d encourage you to create a Feature Request, so others who are interested can vote as well.:wink:

1 Like

Hi my friend, definetely Its possible, you can use virtual switches tu simulate an alarm panel, I am waiting also to do that a feature that can be set different styles for a tile depending of variable values, (b.e. green for disarm, yellow for arm stay and red for arm away), now I think this feature is in the “wishes list” waiting for vote to go to the production line (vote for it in the features sections), in the midtime I created a virtual color bulb light that lights on in the desired color depending of what state of alarm is active, here an image when alarm is in Stay mode…

2 Likes

Thank you Carlos, Please correct me, but you said that a Virtual color bulb was used? I created a simulated RGB bulb in Smarthings IDE. Is this the same? I did not see now you changed the glow color. Was it possible to change the glow to 2 or 3 different glows?
Thank you for your response.

1 Like

You have to set a rule that lights the tile to the desired color when correspondent switch changes to ON, in rules programming when you pick up the device in the “THEN” section and device is an RGB Bulb there is an option where you can pickup response, you can select what color you want to switch light on with a “Color Picker” option. I hope this is useful for you …

2 Likes

Hmm…Im missing something…Can you post an example of the rule you needed to create. I can still not see how the glow was changed to Red.

1 Like

Hi my friend, its a screen shot of the rule for Arm Stay Notification Rule, the 1st flow action lights on simulated RGB bulb, and 2nd action turns it to orange color, 3th action sends a push over message to devices…

In the dashboard you have to pickup the “Glow” option for the tile in order to display its color in a glowing effect…

I hope its now clear…if not tell me please

2 Likes

@Carlos_Juarez, thanks for sharing, this is super cool.

@Carlos_Juarez, Yes thanks I was able to get it working. my issue was that I never deleted the simulated thing. I only changed it in the IDE but Sharptools looks like it kept the attributes for all the different things it was. After I deleted and recreated the thing as a simulated RGB bulb it was working. Now I’m working on trying to customize individuate tiles. I think I need some custom CSS. I’m looking of changing the text of for each file in different locations of the cell (top, middle, or bottom).

1 Like