Costs against action tiles

Just wondering if there is a plan for making the price non subscription based. Action tiles a permanent price which is equal to only a year for smart tools?

Update: We’ve had a several people reach out to support after finding this thread asking the differences between SharpTools and ActionTiles, so we’ve summarized some of the feature differences below:

Feature ActionTiles SharpTools.io
Dashboards :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Media :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Hyperlinks :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
News Feeds limited :white_check_mark:
Calendars :x: :white_check_mark:
Album Art :x: :white_check_mark:
Hero Attribute Tile :x: :white_check_mark:
Rule Engine :x: :white_check_mark:
Custom Variables :x: :white_check_mark:
Multi Platform :x: :white_check_mark:
Always Free Tier :x: :white_check_mark:
Unlimited Hubs
included w/ License
:x: :white_check_mark:

@Liam thanks for the message. We don’t have any plans to offer a one-time license at the moment.

Since there are ongoing costs per connected user, a subscription aligns best with what we’re providing. That being said, we’re considering introducing a discounted annual offering - is that something you would be interested in?

Edit: We’ve introduced a discounted annual plan! Thanks for your interest!

2 Likes

I’d prefer to pay annually at a discounted rate!

3 Likes

Honestly I’m not sure. I think I’d have to see how easy action tiles was to use as their one of license is only one year for smart tools. While I appreciate your platform I’m not sure it’s as cost effective.

Thanks for your reply!

Thanks for the feedback. Here’s a few things to consider:

• The AT license is for a specific version of their software (V6) - what happens when they release V7?

• SharpTools has a number of unique features including a full Rule Engine, Integration with mutliple platforms, Calendars, News Feeds, Drag and Drop Interface, Deep tile customization, and more!

Also compare how quickly new features are added. SharpTools has a history of releasing updates every few weeks, compared to AT releasing every few months.

• SharpTools allows unlimited hubs / locations / devices and has support for multiple platforms

Which means if you ever want to add smart home devices from another platform, you are covered under your current license. (AT requires you to buy a license per hub/location)

• And you can always use the free tier with SharpTools indefinitely!

4 Likes

I think an annual discounted fee would be beneficial.

2 Likes

Josh, an annual option would be amazing. One of the reasons I havent subscribed is not because of the $3, but because the bank charges me per debit order. This cost takes the fee up to almost $4.50 which just becomes crazy. Would happily pay $25 or $28 (or even no discount) as a yearly rather than monthly.

1 Like

Are there still plans for an annual payment? I would much rather pay like that even if it was not discounted.

Yes. We are working on introducing an annual option. Nothing to announce at the moment, but we’ll be sure to update this thread when more details are available. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

What bank does that out of curiosity?

@Mark_Godfrey it’s because I’m not in the US, there is a minimum fee for the currency exchange

1 Like

I think a yearly subscription is the way to go!

As for action tiles I don’t think they have charged again from 5 to 6?

They most definitely did. It was “SmartTiles” with 5 and changed to “ActionTiles” with 6. A few months after action tiles released 6, they forced everyone off smart tiles by killing it.

We are very excited to introduce the annual plan option today. Check out the announcement and don’t forget to upgrade and lock in the special introductory rate before the promotion expires. :grinning:

3 Likes

as a brand new user of smartthings/sharptools/actiontiles I have to say sharptools ui is leaps and bounds ahead of action tiles with regard to the user experience. I am not an expert user but I find the UX in sharp tools way better and more appropriate to novice users like me.
also, the support from the staff in the forums is awsome. very fast and ellaborate answers.
I assume the pricing model was well thought out and accomodates a good balance between the users needs and sharptool’s needs as a company.
having said that, there might still be room for some kind of intermediate pricing. something between free and fully paid. something that will fit guys like me who want to jump in, might need more than the free account but dont need a lot of the advanced stuff.
thanks

2 Likes