Contact Sensor Tile with Icon and Display Battery

I have two Smartthings Multi Sensors that I am using to determine the status of my garage doors. To save on dashboard real estate, I’m hoping to have the battery status for each one in the same primary tile instead of creating a separate battery status tile.

In the following screenshot, the left tile has the battery status, but no icon. The right tile has the icon, but no battery status.

I have the left tile set as a “Hero” attribute layout. It has all the information, but I’d like to use an icon instead of “Closed” or “Open” and I would like to change the icon color if it is “Open”. I’m struggling to get my rules right to get them to trigger on the displayed status. this is what I have tried. I’ve tried it with and without surrounding double quotes.

The right tile is set to the “Contact Sensor Tile”. It allows me to choose the state that I want to target for styling, but I can’t find a way to change the “Open/Closed” status in the bottom right to the battery status.

I’d appreciate any suggestions, insight or workarounds. Thanks

@Tyler_Boespflug welcome to the community. Try the lower case closed and open in your state mapping as shown in the screenshot below. That should fix the icon issue for you, and here is another screenshot of the tile.

However, if you only wants to display the icon and batter value without the contact value, the Super Tile, that is currently available in beta, would provide the customization flexibility you wanted. Let me know if you are interested in joining the beta tester program. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks James! That worked, I should have known to drop the case, especially after trying with quotes and attempting to use wildcards.

I wouldn’t mind trying out the beta program. I’m playing around with things right now anyway, so this is another thing to add to my options list.

2 Likes

Hello James, I am new to Sharptools and working through constructing my Dashboards. This post has been useful as I have a similar case with the contact sensor for my Garage door but I would also like to add a tap function to command the garage door motor to operate and open / close the garage door using the same tile. I can see the tap function is available but only to open a dashboard or open a hyperlink. Is it possible to add a thing so the Garage door motor switch can be closed momentarily?

There’s a few options:

• Virtual Device: Use a Virtual Garage Door device with your smart home platform of choice. These map the status from your contact sensor into the Virtual Garage device and map the open/close actions from the Virtual Garage device to your momentary relay.
  • Special Hyperlink: Use the Contact Sensor with the special $.runRule("RULEID") hyperlink syntax. With this approach, you would create a rule that sends the command to your momentary relay and use that Rule ID with the aforementioned special hyperlink syntax.
  • Super Tile: Use a Super Tile as James mentioned above which would allow you to display the status of the contact sensor while mapping the action to your momentary relay.

Many thanks for the quick reply Josh, will give these options a try. I am loving Sharptools!

2 Likes