Broadcast to Google Home when door is open

Hi there,

I’m trying to create an automation that will broadcast to my Google Home when my multipurpose sensor is open.

I’ve been googling about it and most of the references and tutorials seem to point to some kind of integration between Sharptools + Tasker + Cast but they are quite old and refer to some plug-ins that I believe are not available anymore.

Does anyone have an updated tutorial that could help me? In summary:

• I have created a Sharptools account and it’s already connected to Smartthings
  • I have downloaded Tasker on my Android device

I’m stuck now in the process of connecting one to the other and what would be the next steps… Any help would be much appreciated!

Best,
Marcelo.

Can you share more details or maybe a link to the tutorials you’re referring to?

If the goal was to push an event from SmartThings down to your phone, you could probably use a SharpTools.io Rule and have it push an event to the phone using Pushover.

Alternatively, there’s some community developed ‘servers’ that you can run on a Raspberry Pi or NAS and those expose REST APIs. You could use the Web Requestor Edge Driver to call one of the endpoint from one of those servers.

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your reply!

Can you share more details or maybe a link to the tutorials you’re referring to?

I was trying to follow what is described here: Door Sensor + Google Home + IFTTT - #5 by mcdssn - Devices & Integrations - SmartThings Community

If the goal was to push an event from SmartThings down to your phone, you could probably use a SharpTools.io Rule and have it [push an event to the phone] using Pushover.

The goal is to broadcast a message to my google/nest devices when the sensor detects that the door is open - don’t need to push an event to my phone if there is another easier/better solution. :slight_smile:
Basically what I’m trying to do is:

• Multipurpose sensor detected the door is open
  • Broadcast message on my google/nest devices: “front door is open”

Best,

Using Pushover to push an event down to the phone to trigger it to run the Tasker task (as shown in the linked thread) could work in that case.

I suppose that all depends on what you define as easy! Some people would run away at the idea of hosting a server on a Raspberry Pi or their NAS! :wink:

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your help! I have managed to make it work with SharpTools + Pushover + Tasker + Autocast (and a few purchases in the way!). Just need to find a way to remember the name of all these tools in the future! haha

Btw, step 3 from the Registration process here is outdated, as you cannot add a new application from the page mentioned there: How do I set up Pushover? - SharpTools Knowledge Base

Best.
Marcelo.

Thanks for the feedback. As a new user, did you see the Create an Application/API Token link on the main Pushover.net dashboard page below the devices / email aliases?

Yup, I can see it there. But in the end, I got to the page to create a new application from the link in step 1 of this page: Pushover: API

1 Like