Adding additional Phone numbers for SMS

@dave.blackwell can you try to modify the title and message in the 2nd message so they are slightly different from the 1st one? From my quick tests, I was able to reproduce the same issue if I send the exact same message to both devices, but both devices received the notifications if I change the message a bit. Not sure if there’s something at the Pushbullet side that preventing the same message from being sent to multiple devices within a short period.

I was able to receive the notifications on both devices in the following setting.

1 Like

Sure enough! When I change the BODY to be unique, it works. Pushbullet notifications appear on each of the 2 phones.

Wow, frustrating! Wish I could just simply text a single notification to 2 cell phone numbers!

Thanks! Appreciate your help!

2 Likes

You might also give Pushover a try if you want easier configuration for sending the same notification to multiple devices at once. The UI in SharpTools allows you to check the box next to multiple devices at once – or you can use a ‘group key’ to always send to certain group of devices.

It’s a one-time fee of $5 per platform (eg. Android / iOS) and you can use it on multiple devices of the same OS type. I’m pretty sure it comes with a trial per OS, but it’s been a while since I first tested it.

1 Like

I may be late here, but if you’ve got an iPhone here is how I did it.

After you’ve set up your rule with your own phone number, trigger the rule, the number that sms texts you, you’ll save that number (door sensor) then you’ll head over to shortcuts then tap automations. Crest an automation that sends a text out to other contacts when you get a message from the number that you just saved.

Nice! So this enables you to react to the SMS message that you receive on your phone using an iOS Shortcut automation and effectively foward that SMS onto other users? Neat approach!

We recently released ‘Additional Emails in Rules’ to beta in production and have included an Email-to-SMS wizard.

Many telecom providers offer an email address that you can send messages to and it will automatically deliver them as SMS messages to your phone. For example:

Our Email-to-SMS wizard included in the latest beta enables you to enter your phone number and it will attempt to automatically find the email-to-SMS format for your carrier. This works for the big three US carriers mentioned above and has some fallback search features for a number of international carriers.

If your carrier isn’t automatically matched, but has an email-to-sms format, you can use it directly but we’d also love if you let us know the format so we can add it to the database!

Yes, that’s correct. At first I didn’t think or know if I could or if it would work but it does. And no special coding either. I hope this helps those that want multiple contacts.

The draw back I’m still figuring out is how to automatically send the message instead of having to hit the run automation pop up.

1 Like

I know this is old but I came across an app that works for me. I have sharptools doing the sms to me and I have it set up with an app called sms forwarder. For the app there’s a filter that if I receives a message from the sharptools number with a certain phrase it’ll be forwarded to a few people.

1 Like

Thanks! this is what I need! I just downloaded and set it up with a filter. hopefully it works for me as planned.

I have an app called sms forwarder that does it. I’ll know in a few hours if it actually works or not. The sms from sharptools comes to me then the app forwards it to a few people if my name is in the message.

Ya I know you have it LOL. saw that in your last post. that is why i downloaded it and set it up. you just got to be careful and specific with the rules in it so it doesn’t send unintended messages. I set it up and now my wife gets a text (from my phone, but includes sharptools #) if its wet beneath the kitchen sink.

For those not on Beta, I do this with IFTTT - Webhooks trigger passing some values and Gmail action. Also a good list of telecom formats is here: How To Send a Text Message From Your Email Account | Digital Trends

Josh, where is the Email-to-SMS wizard found?

Thanks

On your user page, you can tap Manage Account in your user card, then select the Emails tab.

:link: https://sharptools.io/user/profile/emails

I would note that T-Mobile seems to be blocking email-to-SMS messages now even though they were allowing them before. :frowning:

Yes, that’s the issue I’m having as well with Tmobile and why I’m trying to find a workaround. The emails do eventually show up, but are severely delayed.

Thanks!

Interesting. With the volume of rejections I was seeing, I suspected they weren’t getting delivered for anyone.

Are you using our platform to the email-to-SMS delivery or another platform?

No, I’ve been using my own mail server to send these type notifications for years with no issues. Even when I was using Verizon and then switched to Tmobile about a year ago. I’ve only seen the issue starting this week.

1 Like

I’m on Mint, which routes through Tmo, and almost none of mine come through. Maybe once every other week, I’ll get two or three random and severely outdated messages.

I’ve been using email-to-SMS service from the major US carriers for several years. We have users on AT&T and TMobile, and I can say both services have become far less reliable in the last 6 months or so. Before maybe there could be a 5 minute delay sometimes, but now some messages are delivered days late or not at all. Others are delivered immediately. Strange that both services went to hell around the same time, but that’s what I’m observing. I sent a couple of manual test messages via email 30 minutes ago and they haven’t been delivered yet. Sigh.

1 Like