Adding a tile to a specific location

Is there an EASY way to place a tile on an existing dashboard that doesn’t move all the other tiles? Id like it to go where the red circle is.

I presume there is a spacer tile there? If so you can put the dashboard into edit mode, remove the spacer tile, then immediately add your replacement tile which will inherently go to that space to fill the gap.

When a tile is removed, the dashboard is temporarily frozen, and if you re-add another tile, it gets added in the blank place… as long as you don’t drag any other tiles or adjust your window size or anything after removing a tile, the remaining dashboard elements remain frozen to give you a chance to add a new tile to replace it.

1 Like

WOW! That was easy. Thanks @josh

1 Like

Okay… now… is there a way to insert 2 tiles in the location indicated by the arrow without all the tiles moving? There are no spacer tiles there.

So something has to move to make room for the new tiles, but I assume you want to add new tiles above the Chicken Coop label and have everything else move down. The good news is the tiles will naturally move up/down to make room for others.

The trick is you’ll want to add your tiles (to the bottom) and adjust their dimensions before you move them into the space. Otherwise, if you add them and move them into the space when they are small, other things are going to push up/down to fill the gaps, then when you change the size, it’s going to push things left/right which you don’t want.

Here’s an example where I add a single tile and a spacer to my mobile dashboard as it loosely demonstrates the concept:

Got it! I’ll try it tonight on a computer. Is there a trick to dragging the resized tile into place? Like drag up the left side then drag right??? Or something like that???
I seem to remember reading something you wrote about moving tiles and what happens, but i can’t find it.

I’m trying to minimize the damage!!! LOL

Hi.

Has this been addressed in any way?? Arranging tiles is truly maddening!! How does anyone actually do this without wanting to get a little violent??

Can I at least upload a JSON file with the order I want, or change the vertical/horizontal shifting setting somehow?

Having the tiles shift DOWNWARD is truly annoying.

Thinking of going through the effort to absolute-position everything through CSS to avoid having to re-arrange ALL tiles if I want to add something to the top. I would think most people want things to shift horizontally.

I guess I’m not in the most people category.

i actually find how it works now much better. I used to use another platform that did not have drag and drop capability. You had to insert/remove tiles in a list and the result was everything moved horizontal on the dashboard throwing everything out. I hated it.

Thats why I thought this concept would work for everyone, well that’s like saying never… but it is a bit of a comprimise, as you would have the option as it is now, or select tiles that don’t move… Just thinking out loud… :grinning: